What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necps show!

schloaty

Staff member
Hello everyone! What a weekend! The NECPS show was spectacular. We topped last years attendence by a mile...Last year we got 196 visitors...this year we hit 310!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

People brought the most amazing plants, and we had representatives from every genous....Even drosophyllum, genlesia and roridula (sp?) !!

One of the truncatas at the show had a pitcher almost as long as my forearm...WITH MY FINGERS OUT STRAIGHT!!

Oh....And I scored Tony's Highland truncata...
smilie4.gif

I have tons of pictures, but I left the cd at home.... I'll try to remember it for tomorrow.

YAY glad it went well. Hope the society membership grows a bit in response.

Yes Pictures!!! /bonk

SPECTACULAR is the word! What a great time.

We even had a line to get in at one point. Lots of kids which is always nice.

At one point I looked over and saw a MOB of people all intently staring up in the same direction - a wasp was hovering and landing on the plants on the 3 tier Sarracenia display. I don't know if it got caught for sure, but was sure in the wrong greenhouse that day!

Every once in a while I'd stop and talk to folks as they were leaving. I would ask "What was your favorite part of the show?" I expected something like, "The Feeding Station" or something similar. It was always a number. "355, that was the BEST part!" or "416, 416, 416". "126, that's what I liked the most". All the plants were labeled with the grower, species, etc, and a number. Just about all the visitors picked up a form and voted for their favorite plant.

In addition to 2 mugs and a keychain with our new logo, I picked up a few new babies for my collection:
N. diatas
N. sibuyanensis
N. macfarlanei
N. bongso

Can't wait to see some of the pictures!

Tony - we all hope you'll come on out next year!

My wife and I had a fantastic time at the show!! Thanks again for the plants Schloaty, I'll let you know how they do! We took some pictures of the show, I posted our favorites below for your enjoyment. The rest I will give to Nathan, for posting on the website perhaps.

Picture 1: We saw this bee ALMOST fall prey to the S. leucophylla. It was flirting with certain death!!!!
Picture 2: Jeff's MASSIVE venus flytrap pot (almost certain to take the 'Best of Show' in my opinion)
Picture 3: Schloaty at the Venus Flytrap feeding station: 'Ohhhhhh, did you see it get that one?'
Picture 4: The N. truncata's next meal.
Picture 5: The show at it's peak: visitors crowding around the vendor displays.
Picture 6: This is what the show is all about: this little boy excited with his new Nep was trying to feed it a fly!

0410090004.JPG

0410090014.JPG

0410090036.JPG

0410090037.JPG

0410090056.JPG

0410090062.JPG

ARRRRG!!! For some reason, the pics aren't on my cd! They were there when I put them on the cd, but my computer at work sees no files!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Sorry no pics...

But I scored!!
N. veitchii (highland x lowland) Thanks Tony P!!
N. lowii for $12.00!! Spent $60 in 1995 on one!!
N. ventricosa babies Thanks Schloaty (Actually all members scored N. ventricosa seedlings)
S. rosea
S. hybrids
U. longifolia
Darlingtonia californica
Flask of Pink Phaelonopsis orchids (They're not cp's but $7 for a flask of 25 seedlings... who cares?)

My prized possession.. My new NECPS mug complete with
Wild Bills own logo. Really beautiful work. Kicking myself I didn't get one of the larger "Soup mugs too"...

Can't wait to see Dave's pictures!!

Kirk
Fitchburg Mass.

Well, in the absence of pics, I may as well post my score list....

N. truncata (highland..won't put the amout, it'll make you all too jealous)
N. maxima cutting (thanks Kirk! Got two cuttings out of it, actually)
N. sanguinea x truncata & N. copelandii for my buddy (he sent me to the show with $30, said get him some neps...not bad for $30!)
N. spectabalis
N. ampularia (speckled)
N. raflessiana elongata
Byblis liniflora (sp?) seeds (thanks Matt Opel!)

Awwwwwwwwwww...I wish I could go.
confused.gif
It looks like a lot of fun.

But...pics are the next best thing.
smile.gif
Thanks for posting and Schloaty...yegads! Where are yours??
smile_n_32.gif

Ok.... The heavens are conspiring against me. First my laptop can't read the files on the cd... NOW the stupid pic editor program on my laptop can't reduce picture sizes!!! So I am only going to post two of the smaller pics (Still big)...So please forgive me dial-uppers, until I can get this stupid, fill-in-the-blank-ing computer to do what I want it to instead of what I tell it to.
mad.gif

100_0142.JPG

100_0149(2).jpg

wow! those are some really big pics, Man! I wish I coulda gone, but maybe I'll get to go to a BACPS meeting sometime, anyway you guys are gonna have to start saying KirkM And KirkS Cause I'm getting confused
smile_n_32.gif

Can someone post the links for the pics seperately so that I can looks at them. x_x they froze less than half way through loading. DARN YOU DIAL-UP DARN YOUUUUUUU!! (filtered?) (yyyup, filtered lol sorry ^_^;)

Edited by me!

OK! Here we go!
aristolo%202.JPG

adeleae.JPG

amp%20spec%202.JPG

amp%20spec.JPG

bog%20bowl.JPG

aristolo.JPG

camp%20flower.JPG

campanulata.JPG

cephs%202.JPG

cephs.JPG