What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello guys,

Me and Anthro went to the Hortus Botanicus in Leiden (Netherlands) today to visit the carnivorous plants collection, which turned out to be only worth visiting for the Nepenthes genus (our intention anyway) because the Sarracenia / Drosera (the size of pygmies even though they weren’t) and others were very standard.

But they have quite a large amount of Nepenthes in their greenhouses. Although I must say we expected a bit more of the collection. (Some people saying it’s the best one in Europe, etc...)
Mainly because most of the Neps weren’t that big as we had hoped, with one exception though: a huuuge Northiana in the non-public part (which we snuck in anyways
biggrin.gif
).

We had a great time and took 23 photos for you to enjoy so sit back and relax.

(If an image is not loading try right-clicking on it and select “View/Show Image”. And if the bandwidth is gone for an hour then you can try the album on Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/album/200809255ZkBwND )

Starting with the small Northiana which stood in the public area:
In our opinion the prettiest pitcher of the smaller ones.
northiana0.jpg

The small and subtle Albomarginata with its distinctive white collar:
albomarginata.jpg

Ampullaria:
While viewing this lovely plant it didn’t took Anthro long to make up his mind whether he will or will not add this plant to his future lowland terrarium.
ampullaria.jpg

Whoever said that Bicalcarata was the most vicious carnivorous plant in existence wasn’t referring to this fangless sissy:
smile.gif

bicalcarata.jpg

Two pictures of beautiful lower pitchers of an Eymae. Too bad no wineglass shaped upper pitchers though.
eymae1.jpg

eymae2.jpg

We never heard of a Faizaliana before. But it looks great.
faizaliana.jpg

Nothing special but looking good nonetheless
Fusca:
fusca.jpg

They had a lot of these little fella’s: Macfarlanei
macfarlanei.jpg

This pretty big Merrilliana was quite happy with all the ants on it’s peristome getting drunk just waiting to plunge into the abyss (with a little evil help of Anthro >;-D ).
merrilliana.jpg

Hi
Just had a browse at them on cpuk and i must say that they still look fantastic
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now julian

As promised 4 pictures of the huge Northiana. It had like 5 of these enormous monsters which were aprox 35 cm in length. It almost gave Anthro a heart-attack. ^_^
Wow... Just wow...
northiana4.jpg

With flash:
northiana1.jpg

northiana3.jpg

With flash:
northiana2.jpg

Can’t say I adore this Pilosa but if it was v. ugly we wouldn’t have photographed it.
smile.gif

pilosa.jpg

Rafflesianas! And loads of them! Quite a lot of different types too.
rafflesiana.jpg

Two little brothers with another wannabe pitcher leaf crying out for attention:
rafflesiana1.jpg

Reinwardtiana... <insert something here>
reinwardtiana.jpg

Interesting pitcher shape.
Sanguinea
sanguinea1.jpg

The bottom of the lid of this Stenophylla looks marvelous. (Not really seen on the photo though)
stenophylla.jpg

Cool hybrid, Truncata x Ventricosa.
And one of the biggest pitchers around.
truncxventri.jpg

A Veitchii without a peristome is like a Hamata without teeth. Luckily it isn’t without:
veitchii.jpg

Last but certainly not least, one of the cutest pitchers we had seen:
Vogelii! Although small it can match the beauty of the Northiana.
vogelii.jpg

We sure did enjoy visiting the Hortus Botanicus, we hope you also liked the little virtual trip.

Anthro & Phyrex.

Anthro and Phyrex, those are stunning photos! What a truly amazing collection...

Oh man! Great pics of gerat plants! That bicalc is a hybrid, you can tell with the mottling and the hairs on the tendril, since pure N. bicalcaratas are glaborous all around.
You lucky fellas!! Now that's eye candy in the form of Neps for ya! Thanks for sharing!!

Amori

OMG that nothiana is just the thing I needed to see to cheer me up right now

Well, thanks for sharing those wonderful pics. I especially like those humongous northiana pitchers...oh what the hell, maybe I should just hop in my car and take the 10+ hour drive there to see them myself!
smile_m_32.gif

Stefan

amazing northiana...hardly ever get to see a good picture that does the wonder that is northiana justice

Whoa! Those are amazing! I LOVE the N. vogelii, too! What t great little pitcher! Also, you guys took really great photos. Thanks for posting them!

Capslock

N O R T H I A N A!
Great pics guys, thanks for sharing! The northiana alone was worth the trip!

Simply amazing....

im speechless
smile_k_ani_32.gif

im gonna add northiana to my wishlist...
smile_m_32.gif

Very nice pictures, guys

Wonderful pics! Isn`t Faizaliana a synonym for stenophylla?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Wowey wow WOW!

Sweet pictures! I LOVE the vogelii.

Very nice. I loved the ants on so many pitchers, in the position one would really hope for them to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 17 2004,5:08)]Wonderful pics! Isn`t Faizaliana a synonym for stenophylla?
Pondboy - No..

Great pics. I can't even imagine what you must have been hoping for. That is probably the largest collection of mature Nepenthes I have seen in a long while..

What was the diameter of the N. northiana plant? Must have been a monster!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Isn`t Faizaliana a synonym for stenophylla?

Tony, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't stenophylla the new name for fallax?

N. fallax and stenophylla have been going back and forth for a long time. My understanding is that they are one in the same and that N. stenophylla is the correct name to use.

T

The northiana is fantastic. Like Tony mentioned, a mature plant. Note that the pitchers are uppers! How big is that monster?
The humidity in the greenhouse must be very high at all times to get the plant up to that size....it leaves me shaking my head in amazement.

Trent

Back