What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Well, it's been about a year now since being on TF. I stumbled upon TF while doing an internet search to determine what plants Home Depot & Lowes sold me, beyond "Drosera Species" & "Pinguicula Species". The books were nice, but the pics weren't conclusive.

My first question was about my primuliflora, which is still doing well. My next several questions revealed my lack of pc skills: "What's a SASE?" "What's a PM?" "What's an avatar?" Remember those gems?

My first venture into the Trading Post brought me D. scorpiodes gemmae, that are still going. It also led me to my first friend. Shortly thereafter, a question about getting my el cheapo Earthlink camera, led me to my second good friend. Let me tell ya - the friendships have been precious!

Soon I was taught how to upload pictures onto a hosting site, post pictures, copy & paste links, and develope other pc skills.

I also began scarfing up just about every Trading Post offering, getting in over my head. I had no idea what to do with gemmae at first, nor Utrics. I regret the living victims of my inexperience and learning curve - especially some gourmet tuberous Drosera seedlings and my poor Darlingtonia. Hopefully, next year will have fewer mistakes. To those who have entrusted me with cuttings that failed under my care - I apologize.

I even had the opportunity to become involved with a CP group and meet one of our forum members - three times!

Now it's dormancy time and I have more than a few VFT's to get through the winter. Wish me skill!

Thank you all for the cp & pc advice you have given! No longer a newbie, but I still have a lot to learn.

Does anybody else see themselves like this?

Jimscott,
You sound like me after my first year! Beleive it or not, I still have the ampularia and x'Judith Finn' I almost killed as a newbie....Many others were not so lucky (raflesiana, truncata, mirabilis...more than a few pings and dews). But each year, as I gain more experience, fewer plants bite the dust, and those that live look a little better.

wow jim we've been here about exactly the same amount of time. yep im in the same boat as you. very few dead Drosera or Pings here though i cant get a Nep seed to germinate to save my life which really makes things interesting do to my female veitchii about to bloom but i do have a plan of attack already prepared. i have yet to kill a Utric that i recieved a decent starting piece from. i have killed a Darlingtonia and a Sarr but my current Darlingtonia is doing great even though i gave up on it as soon as i got it and am doing everything wrong with it according to all sources. it has darn near tripled in size
confused.gif
anyways heres to another year of learning and growing!!!!!!!

Rattler

I will be a memebr for 1 year in May 2005.
smile.gif

Lots of you dont knwo this but, I was a grower BEFORE I joined TF.
Before I joined, I had(and I still have!) a Cephalotus, a VFT typical, Pinguicula esseriana, Drosera aliciae,Drosera admirabilis, Pinguicula grandiflora, Utricularia bisquamata 'bettys bay', 2 Sarracenia purpurea subsp. benosa seedlings and Sarracenia 'Stevensii'
I knew how to grow them because I reserached info on the internet
smile.gif

And I got care sheets with eevry plant I bought.

My 1 year of growing will be celebrated in December.
smile.gif

I dont think my abilities in growing these plants sucesfully would be so good without the help of you guys.
smile.gif

Thank you everyone!
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Well Happy Anniversary Jim.
smile.gif
And thank you for the public thanks to the membership. Its always nice when someone remembers to give a thanks every now and then just to let people know they aren't taken for granted. I think we sometimes do that without realizing it. Everyone who participates here gives of their time and expertise and many give up plant material left and right without expecting anything in return. And this is no small thing.

This is the best bunch o' folks around and I'm very proud of the members of this board. Kind, helpful, generous and fun are just a few of the virtues of our good community.

We are coming upon the Thanksgiving season so it sure doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to think of those who have helped you out time and time again whether you are a newbie or an oldie and appreciate what we all have here. And as always...a huge thanks to Phil Crane for continuing to give us this venue for learning and friendship. You're de best!

I too would like to thank the other member on the forum for the help with growing my plants and the generosity they have shown with extra plants.

Scott,
Maybe I should not say anything yet, not sure if it will happen, but I'm working on something for the CP growers in our area for spring.

wow, im amazed at 2329 posts in one year!
thats an average of 6 a day!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile.gif

Scot

woot, one year jim.
happy aniversary. ;)

you are teaching your skills to yours kids yes?
i hope they are interested. when i was little i was always wanting to learn stuff like this. amazing what little minds will remember.
smile.gif

and for others on the forums. sorry if i speak my mind and sometimes things come out a little harsh. i am used to talking to kids on the net (im a gamer) where intelligent conversations are far and few between. to the point conversations is all that they recognize and i seem to have fallen to their level. sorry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Nov. 10 2004,12:38)]wow, im amazed at 2329 posts in one year!
thats an average of 6 a day!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile.gif

Scot
I make like 13 a day

Hey Jim,

Congrats man. This has been a big help for me too. All the different ideas and resources and generosity of everyone has been magnificent. This is a great forum. Many different thoughts and ideas. It is a great place to hang out.

I know I am only a "few" years older, with your youngest three being the same age as my ONLY! three. I was one of those really late maturing males. The argument is still continuing about using the word mature and my name in the same sentence. Five years active military, trip to South America with an oil company in the early 80's, quit and then had to find civilization. Dang, it was a hard road back. Made it though. The mature, never will happen according to some reliable sources.

But, you and I have the same interests, now that could be dangerous. Out of the three boys, one has an interest in these plants. One can actuallly grow a vegetable garden and the other raises hot peppers, my kind of food, with me every year. Then we sit around on the patio, eat peppers and beans, and . . . . . When mom's not home of course.

Sometimes we get to laughing so hard, well . . . . It has not been easy raising any of them, but my mother past along a gift to me, and I want to pass along the same gift to them.

Congratulations on being here!

Rick

Thanks, Rick!
smile.gif
I think it's high time I send ya a PM and formally introduce myself! Did I mention being an Okahoma Sooners fan....?

Back