What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unflowered and unidentified pinguicula

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I received these without any positive identification, and, as yet they have not flowered for me, so I don't have that to help me figure out which these are.

Any ideas would be helpful. If I get them to bloom I will, of course, share that information with everyone.

P_laueana_Red1.jpg

They do remind me of some of my Pinguicula potosiensis or Pinguicula zecheri, but nothing certain without flowers.

Last edited:
Errr, I meant to write P. laueana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have much experience with pings, (not my favorite, kinda plain) but that looks like a Pinguicula laueana.
smile_l_32.gif

A number of Pings will colour up red under intense light, not just P. laueana. From the leaf it could be P. potosiensis, maybe P. sp. "Pico de Orizaba" (40-50% on that)

Last edited by a moderator:
P.potosiensis was a terrible choice for new species, very badly described. There's absolutely nothing different about it in relation to other P.moranensis forms, unlike P.rectifolia for example. As for P.sp."Pico de Orizaba", this is also a form of P.moranensis. I saw numerous populations of P.moranensis in Mexico and very often both green and marron rosettes were present side-by-side, including at the P.potosiensis type location.

Fernando Rivadavia

Update -- sorry so late. Only seven years later.

I propagated many clones of this plant, then in another thread (a thread I am still looking for), I distributed these, for free, to other growers, as Pinguicula (Red 1). I was hoping that someone would be able to flower it and help me to both discover how to trigger it to bloom and to identify it.

BobZ was the first one to get this plant to bloom. It turned out to be a clone of Pinguicula laueana. Soon afterwards I also learned that I could get this species to bloom more easily and reliably by simply providing Winter nighttime temperatures in the 40'sF.

I'd love to get one. I'll trade you as I am another pingiphile. Please let me know what you are looking for.

Michael

Michael,
I'm sorry but I no longer have this particular plant in my collection. I miss it and the many other plants that have been lost from my collection these past four years.

I am just now rebuilding my collection. It is a unique clone of Pinguicula laueana, but I believe there are other representatives of this or very similar clones in other grower's collections. Perhaps someone has one available for trade.

I too am hoping to eventually reacquire various clones of this species, and others too.

oh well. Let me know if you need anything as I have a few things to trade or spare. I can grow the hell out of P. gigantea. I used to have a lot but now I keep a few things I can grow well. I branch out into what I use to have to try to master it additionally.

Michael

Hi Joseph, that is a really nice clone. I think I remember reading on the ICPS boards that Bob stuck it in his greenhouse and, just as you said, it flowered after exposed to cool nights.

Here is a link to the nice page BobZ put together to show this plant and how its flower looks --> Help identifying a plant that was reluctant to bloom. Pinguicula "Red 1"

Back