What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to kill a cp

Well I have come to a conclusion that bragging will kill a cp (or any other plant). For instance: when I got my first oreophila I told everyone and was quite a bit egotisticall about it. 2 weeks later it was dead. Why? B/C a rhizome borer ate it. The only Sarr it killed or attacked was my oreo. If I brag about the size of my VFTs they shrink to an inch across or so. Anything I think Highly of dies or gets disreputated. I know others have had this experence. Something w/D. adelae ont he "what cp have you killed the most" thread. Post here about your "brags" that turned ugly. Maybe this will cure those ailing plants.

same thing here, when I first got my bulk shipment I bregged SOOO much it looked like they were dead so I eased up on them now they're recovering except one which I bragged that it was recovering I've learned my lesson

RIP- To my ceph. When I sent it, the person who got it said that it wasn't in the pot.
confused.gif

hmmm, I have really bad luck so I have never bragged about my cps except maybe my their color, and then poof that particular trap gets eaten or broken. I won't brag about anything else for fear of loosing the whole plant.

to be perfectly honest i've never lost any neps, vft's, sarracenias, or droseras. I did lose ALL of my pings and my one ceph.
confused.gif

My drosera regia. Had it in a twelve inch pot, growing in bright shade. It took off and grew huge, leaves 30" long and one inch wide. The plant was actually catching yellow jackets, and winning. Of course, I was King Grower, Big Cheese, De Man!!!!! And I told everyone so. Within three days, regia was totally gone, the root a mass of goo. So much for being "De Man", and all those other guys too. Just grow, and watch what happens. That is pretty much all you can do.

So, in the future, you should only deprecate your worthless, POS plants!

Then they'll thrive, if only to evolve enough to eat you...

Not exactly. But it sure lets you know that you don't know everything there is to know about the plants. Always plenty of room for error and lost plants, and it happens to everyone sooner or later. Always best when you get cocky, and too big for your britches!!!

most of my CPs are just the MOST GORGEOUS color of brown you have ever seen....

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Steve L and I used to make sure our praise of the plants took place beyond earshot of the CP collection at the Frederik Meijer Gardens.
biggrin.gif

so... conversely, does this mean if you speak horribly about your CP's that they will do better?

Cause mine suck, they really really suck. They don't grow, their color is horrible, and well... that pretty much covers it.

I started an after school program at a school this past summer. I volunteered every M, W, and F morning for just over 3 months.  All was going well so I backed out and away in favor of the kids taking over under the supervision of the teacher which is the way it should be.  The Christmas break was upon us and the teacher and I spoke to the head janitor and it was agreed the heat would remain on in the south wing of the school as opposed to being turned down to 45. The teacher said she was going to come in every morning to make sure all the trays were filled with water and such. All was well.

Just before Christmas break, I took photos of how well the plants were doing and shared them with a few 4H groups, Scout groups, and two other schools that were interested in starting similar programs.  The teacher extended an invitation to any group interested to stop on in after the holidays to see their set up.  

The head janitor went on vacation and one of the two remaining janitors took it upon himself to shut down a few boilers to drop the temps to 45 in the whole school as was customary for the past x number of years. The other remaining janitor thought nothing of this and he too left for vacation.

The teacher was not in a position to do anything at all as the head janitor was the only one licensed and certified to start up the boilers and he was gone.  The plants were hanging in there with space heaters until another one of her relatives died and a member from the Church offered to check in on the plants and saw the space heaters and deemed them a fire hazard and shut them off. The plants went without being watered for oh... about 5 days and she honestly didn't think to call me and the parishioner didn't know me to call me.  

Lemme see, we lost all of the plants from BobZ (I need to add that BobZ TOLD me nicely to consider keeping some of the plants at my home... just in case… but did I do that??? nooooooooo).
-All of the plants from sarraceniaobsessed save the few that required a dormancy which are in the teacher's garage right now and my guess is they are being gassed to death from exhaust fumes from her car.
-All of the plants from Rattler (I do have a few Utrics of his here at my house).
-All of the plants and gemmae from Copper.
-And all of the plants from 0zzy.

I take that back... the non cp "Love plants" from ozzy came back to life. The school also has the seed to work with that was being cold stratified in the frig in the teacher's lounge as well as 4 trays that I am germinating for them here at home so at least they will get the D. filiformis 'All Red' which germinated quite nicely as well as some nice little Sarr seedlings.  

Originally, I thought it was carelessness that trashed the 30 plants the school had. My take was that over the break they figured a day or so without water wouldn't make a big difference.  I had no idea the boilers were shut down and that space heaters were in there or that the teacher lost her Dad over the break after just having lost her grandfather. I must admit I just found that out and for the past month I was absolutely livid to the point that I made myself scarce and told them that I'd help them work back up from scratch with the seed they were germinating.

So, glad I took all those photos before Christmas to SHARE with other groups to get them all psyched.

In a few hours I leave for vacation and we hired a seminary student and his wife to stay in our home while we are gone to feed our cats and water my plants and seedlings. We had to board our dogs because the little lady said she was afraid of them. Good, more time for them to remember to water my plants. I’ve gone over how to water the plants with her now at least 5x to the point she is exercising restraint in not choking me.  I was feeling pretty good about everything until I read this thread thinking nothing could go wrong and that I deserved a break after the squirrel and feral cat fiasco of last fall.  Here's hoping I get that break or everyone will be hearing the screams all the way from Illinois when I get back. Does that make you feel better Tre?  Everyone all at once now… “Laura’s plants & seedlings & seeds are horrible, rotten, nasty, very bad, ugly, gross, and they suck.”

I used to brag to my friends how quick my warmed over, 281 cu. in. 32 valve Lincoln Mark VIII is in the quarter mile...took some friends To Moroso Motor Sports Park and ran a 14.01 @ 101.7 mph.  Those are definitely bragging numbers for a 3810 lb. car equipped with every conceivable luxury known to man.
Trouble was that I had lined up against a little ole' Dodge Dart with a brand new 426 Hemi crate motor.
The moral of the story...nothing will slow you down quicker than a faster car in the next lane.  
laugh.gif

A few years back I had this purpurea... some of you fellow deep-rooted forum members will remember this... I bragged for so long about how big it was, that it ran over the edges of a 6'' pot, that the pitchers were almost big enough to drop a silver dollar into... a few months later, it died of scale, WHICH it contracted from my minor, which got scale at about the same time, which I also previously bragged about after I got it from North Carolina Botanical Gardens, how it consumed hundreds of flies in a matter of one day when I got it and kept it at my uncle's house in NC while we visited (you would not believe the population of house flies on that base, OMG!!), how it was almost 2' tall, how it had fabulous veinage and spotting... I still have it, but to this day it is eternally crappy, as most of my previously-bragged plants ¬_¬

Back