What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went through my collection yesterday and was amazed at how many first-time bloomers I will have this spring. Usually I get a few every year, but I was shocked at what I saw this year. Many of them were from plants I got last year, so it's an added bonus. Off the top of my head here's what I saw: Tarnok, Cobra Nest, Boob Tube, Blackened Redfish, dixie lace x purpura, one of the alabamensis from the ICPS distribution (didn't look to see which one exactly), leuco x wrigleyana (different one from the one i made some crosses with last year), (rubra x oreo) x catesbaei, purpurea x courtii, (alata x oreophila) x mitchelliana, alabamensis x oreophila, a few unknowns I got from BobZ last year, some unknown UNCC hybrids. and that's all i can remember for now. can't wait to do some crosses in another few weeks or so.

Wow thats a lot. I will have at least S. flava 'cooks bayou' and S. purpurea x. rubra

I'll have at least a catsbei, and the rest are still sleeping. We've been having some cold lately and the photoperiod is being shielded so to speak.

Wow! if you host a sarracenia seed giveaway this year, sounds like theres gonna be lots!

I'm glad to hear that the Mellichamp hybrids I sent you will flower for you. I do recall they were sizable divisions. You'll find they flower and pitcher prolifically. I think you'll be pleased.

imduff

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow thats a lot.
Yeah, and that's just the first-timers. Multiply that by 4-5 and that will be about how many different ones will be flowering this year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow! if you host a sarracenia seed giveaway this year, sounds like theres gonna be lots!
I hope to do some crosses, but I'm not sure I'll do that many this year. For one, it does get to be a huge undertaking. Second, I don't have a whole lot of room for more seedlings (i'll have about 5 trays from last years crosses). Third, the plants are currently in my wife's greenhouse at work and I don't get a chance to get over that often. They'll remain there until frosts are over here, which won't be until May. By then, the flowering will be over with. The first flowers (S. flava) opened on Feb. 1, and most should be in bloom within a month.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm glad to hear that the Mellichamp hybrids I sent you will flower for you. I do recall they were sizable divisions. You'll find they flower and pitcher prolifically. I think you'll be pleased
I sincerely appreciate you making them available. I've already given some of the extra Dixie Lace x purps you sent to other people. Thanks again.

Back