What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water quality.....

"Do I need a water softener?

No. Water is considered "soft" if it has a hardness value of less than 50 parts per million (ppm). Our tap water has a hardness value of approximately 40 ppm (milligrams per liter) or 2.5 grains of hardness."

This is on the FAQ page for my local water utility. Would you use this water to water CP. I thought I read somewhere where water under 50ppm is sufficiently pure for use with CP.

I read that as long as it's under 100 it's okay.

I do not use water through a softner for my plants. The salt content can be hard on them. The water here is very hard and I had to put in a softner or continue to replace water heaters every couple of year, but I run the regular water to the outside. I use collected rain water for my Cps. I use softned water that has been run through another filtering system when I get desperate. It has not hurt, but I have not used much.

Sounds fine to me, all CP will do fine under 100ppm water quality. Nepenthes are the more hardy plants, they can go as high as 150ppm with no ill effects.

Back