What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just took a vft cutting

this is my first time doeing it, but i got a part of the white base along with the leaf, i put some rooting hormone on it and buried the white part in a 50/50 mix of peat/sand and put a dome on it, did i do it right? how long does it take? one more thing, i dident notice this intill i pealed the leaf off but it has a blackish spot on the leaf, it hasent grown, but now im worried, will it be a problem?

Leaf pullings are very hit and miss for me. It sounds like you did ok, but the only way to know that you really did it right is when you see plantlets emerge. Same thing goes for the black spot on the leaf.. it may or may not be a problem. For now all you can do is sit back and wait, wait wait.. and just when you think the waiting is over... you wait a little more...

Good luck
Steve

I think most people have reported 50% success in the past;  I'm not saying strip your VFT naked; but maybe you have several? It will take several weeks so I would increase your chances of doing several.

I started separating clumping VFT'S after Dormancy instead of doing clippings; near 100 percent and you have an established plant sooner; however, I've done the clipping thing and did alright; I'm glad you have the curiosity and I think you did everything alright. Let us know!

ya, for right now ill stick to the clipping, the last plant i divided was a canna and it went to bloody hell, im to nervous to divide anything right now. the first cutting died, the second one seems to be doing ok, but its still a long time intill i see any progress, ill let ya know.

Back