What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do you know when you need a bigger pot?

I've only had my VFT for a couple of weeks now and this sucker is growing like a weed. There are traps sprouting up from all over the place on this plant. Anyway, I got the VFT from Petflytrap and it's in a little green plastic pot that is about 3" in diameter and 3" tall. Well, I've read that the typical plant has about 4 to 8 traps on it. Mine has way more than that IF you count the new ones sprouting up that aren't fully developed yet. When they say 4 to 8 traps, do they mean fully developed traps or everyone on there including the ones that are just starting to sprout up? On my plant, if you count every single one, big or small and the ones that are just starting to sprout up, I'd say there could be as many as 20 on there! Now, these are counting everything! I'd say that I have about 3 or 4 that the traps are close to an inch across. Everything else is smaller or not completely developed yet. Some of them are very small. Anyway, should I move them to a bigger pot or is the size that it's in still ok? I don't want to move them if i dont have to since I know that this can stress them pretty bad. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. It'll look nice and bushy. I've read a pot that's slightly too small encourages bigger traps anyway.

I think the it goes the bigger the pot the more offshutes and plants with smaller traps, and the smaller the pot the bigger the traps with fewer offshutes. I don't know who said that nor the exact words... I paraphrased.

I find pot size doesn't really affect how the plant grows. The problem is when you have a humungous plant in a small pot and the roots are constantly sitting in water. Over time this increases the risk of rotting, so I would go for a bigger pot.

In nature, they don't have the limitations of depth and breadth. Give it as much "elbow room" as you can give it.

I repotted mine last year after having it for 2 years.  At the rate mine are growing, I may have to repot again.  I think it is likely you actually have two plants not three.

I say you should wait till you have it for a year, unless the bulbs are close to the sides.

Don't repot it until it is rootbound; don't fix something that isn't broke.

Yes, I've seen larger traps in more 'confined' areas;

Back