What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnats

I'm having a gnat problem again and I've been drowning pots and they just...MAJORLY TICK ME OFF!! I JUST potted these plants and they've already begun burrowing in the soil of all of my pots. I feel like giving up...but I've been informed that I can use systemic instecticides, the problem is, I don't know which one to get, I need one that I can get at Lowe's or somewhere like that, I can't order online for it. It this doesn't work..I'm just gonna stick with underwater utrics THAT DON'T HAVE SOIL FOR THE LITTLE (insert angry word here) TO BURROW IN! I'll do that until I can get a really good terrarium to keep them OUT!

This is why I love winter/spring/fall. I hate ants! I once was laying on the couch watching TV and carpenter ant bit me on the back. Hurt like hell! Had a red mark from that and killed the ant in the process. You can never beat nature only hold it off for a while.

here's what you do-
you take the plants out, wrap their roots in a wet paper towel, put the soil in the microwave, and DIE GNATS DIE!!!! MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!
smile_n_32.gif
I like my gnats though. my binata is COVERED with them. it's ridiculous. I actually have to pick them off because they get covered in fungus so I don't want them there. (he he he.. .how ironic. fungus gnats with mold)

I have the same thing with mine. I think of it as constant nutrition for my plants. Although it's nice to be able to admire a nice leaf of a sundew without a bunch of dead bugs on there.

Heya, little tip here - those buggers don't like sand! If you can, put a light layer of sand..maybe .25" or so on top of your soil. That'll really slow down the little wormy gnat larvae. You still have to keep an eye on it though, they can sometimes push the sand over, and if there's a lot in the pot, it doesn't stop them from munching roots.

If you use food grade diatomaceous earth, sprinkled on the "soil" around the plant, it will slice the larva up and fix the problem. April

oh! where do you buy it? I want to see diatoms (the cool kind... not pond kind)!

...........*cough* what? and I don't have any sand..it's really hard to find when you live in the middle of nowhere! All that's out here is cows! Hehe it's fun to yell hamburger when you see them..

No sand? You can even get some at a playground, but you have to be very, very careful about filtering out the stuff that's probably in it. You can also buy sand at your local nursery or Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I've never seen diatomaceous earth for sale, but then again I wasn't looking for it.

What about Bacillus thuringiensis? Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis is sold under the trade name of Gnatrol. You have to get the right variation as different variations control different pests. It's pretty effective against the young larvae when they are actively feeding. It is a naturally occurring bacterial disease of insects. The Bt proteins paralyze the insect's digestive system and then the infected insect stops feeding within hours and dies of starvation. It is only effective for about 1-2 dys but has great knock down powers. If I were going to use it, I'd remove the plants being treated from direct sun or direct lighting for about 36 hours. It's organic and will degrade in light but this might work extremely well for a CP because the product is different from other nerve-poison insecticides in that it is a microbial insecticide... non chemical.

Oh how I love integrated pest management. Disclaimer, I have never used this product on a CP but I'd try it in a heart beat.

Back