What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr ids needed

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Here is the open pitcher pic requested from the last "disaster" thread (sorry for the fuzzy photos, I'm not sure whats' up, maybe getting too dark...):
unknown%203%20RS.JPG

and again:
unknown%203%20open%20RS.JPG

and the flower:
unknown%203%20flower%20RS.JPG

Here is another purp needing ID:
Purp%20RS.JPG

Purp%20pitcher%20RS.JPG

and:
Purp%20flower%20RS.JPG

the first one looks like a catesbaie hybrid of some sort, the pink flower looks like that of S. rosea (formerly venosa burkei sp?)
the second I dont know, pupureas are definately not my specialty, looks like posibly either montana, venosa, or spp. purpurea

The first one is most likely S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii x. flava var. ('Red Tube' one that is in Apppalachiacola, what's that var.?)
The second is S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii (your flower is not open).

How long have you had these plants anyway? Or do you have a ton of them? I would suspect you should know what most of them are if you have had them for a while. I would suggest you pick up a copy of "Carnivorous Plants of the US and Canada" by D. E. Schnell it will be worth your money. Or the library might have it (or inter-library loan it).

could the "flava mix" actually be S. (purpurea x leucophylla) x (x excellens)?
This a fancy hybrid I purchased from California Carnivores in a package deal. Most are still small, just a thought.

The second plant is a purp ssp. venosa. Reasoning: 1) The petals are brick and not pink (or white) and the stalk is tall so it is not rosea (var burkei.) 2) The hood is not reflexed in and has moderate to heavy ruffling so it is not montana.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 25 2005,8:37)]the pink flower looks like that of S. rosea (formerly venosa burkei sp?)
formerly?? still is to most of us, "rosea" is not widely accepted amongst the CP fraternity...
smile_m_32.gif

I'll take a guess on your second plant as I have both S. purpurea ssp. venosa var burkei and S. purpurea ssp. venosa here. I think your second plant is S. purpurea ssp venosa. My flower stalks were very tall on the S. purpurea ssp. venosa and had half that height on the var burkei. My var burkei is also considerably lighter in that it is a rosy pink/pinkish white while the ssp venosa is a deep pigeon blood red.

I wouldn't even begin to guess at what the first plant is other than very pretty.

Back