What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping water in the bottom of a terrarium

I have a 5 gallon terrarium where I keep all my plants. I keep about two inches of distilled water in the bottom at all times. The water is getting to be pretty dirty looking, and I want to know if it's bad that the water just sits there all the time. Will this encourage fungus and mold that will harm my plants? Should I let it dry up every do often to kill of anything living in there, and then fill it back up again? Thanks for all your answers in advance.

I haven't had much experience, but if I were you, I'd dump it out every week, or maybe less, and let it dry up a bit. Then I'd add new water. I hear that standing water is a breeding-pool for germs and other pathogens. The pros of this method is that it keeps the humidity up, and it gives your terrarium an impenetrable moat that keeps pests out.

I let some water sit in the bottom of my terrarium for humidity, but I don't let my plants sit in it. I empty it out when I clean the tank or prune the plants, and then let it fill from condensation and misting. When it gets close to the plants, I empty it out, but usually I empty it for the former reasons before the water level is greater than 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. I keep some aquatic Utrics in the bottom and a little live sphagnum to keep the algae and bugs in check, but I let it go for weeks at a time. It only starts to look dirty after about three or four weeks.
~Joe

So is there an actual risk that my plants will get sick if I let them sit in that water? I'd rather not dump it out every week, simply because it would be difficult to get all the plants out of there, and I'm sure that would stress them to some degree. Do you guys think letting it dry up would be sufficient?

There's a risk that things like fungus will be passed between your plants, a fairly high one. If your enclosure is free of pathogens to begin with, it won't be a problem, but if there is something there, the water will help a lot to transmit it. Also, certain plants like Nepenthes generally don't like to be in standing water - their pots can be in water, but the roots generally shouldn't be submerged. I think some other CPs are finicky about standing water, but none come to mind. I don't think you'll run into many problems, as long as you have good ventilation and your plants are healthy (and appropriate for growing in standing water.)
Changing it every week may not be necessary. One option is to add an aquarium air pump and an airstone to the water - this will keep the water aerated and circulating, which cuts down on the growth of algae and other nasty stuff, and the bubbles will also raise the humidity in your tank.
~Joe

Would an air pump be able to be used in two inches of standing water?

Yeah, just lay the airstone flat so it's covered by water. You can get little suction cup tube holders at an aquarium store to hold it down.
~Joe

Does anyone know of a product or something you could add to the water to keep anything from growing or living in it?

Well, I don't know about you, but if there's something in water that would prevent anything from growing or living in it, I wouldn't want it anywhere near my plants. Bleach perhaps? I read recently that keeping decaying sedge litter in water prevents the growth of algae - maybe that's what you're looking for? I saw it in a post about aldrovanda - try searching the last month's posts.
~Joe

I keep all the plants in my terrarium in separate saucers. Under the saucers I have eggcrate, which has water underneath it to increase humidity. I use tap water for the humidification, which has chlorine in it. Since it simply evaporates, I can't imagine it hurting the plants, but it should help to kill bacteria/algae, etc. I also let the "humidification water" dry up between refills to further reduce contamination.

You can keep purified water in the saucers for most plants, Nepenthes and Heliamphora being the main exceptions. If you can't reach the saucers to fill them, try using a funnel.

Basically I use this system because it is easy to maintain, which is one of my primary goals. I can definitely understand not wanting to take all your plants out of the terrarium. I almost never take mine out, and they are doing great with this system.

-Ben

I would change the water in the bottom of the tank for a couple reasons. 1) It will look better if the water doesn't have gunk growing in it. 2) Minerals from your water will gradually build up in the water in the terrarium. The build up will be slowest if your using distilled water and fastest if you are using tap water. The mineral build up won't bother your plants as long as they aren't sitting in the water, but they will eventually begin to form deposits along the sides of the terrarium.

I doubt you would want to put bleach in the terrarium. That would kill everything.
There is nothing you can really do. If air circulation is fine the plants will proibily fine

I have my D. adelae, N. ventricosa and P. primuliflora in a 29-gallon, all raised up off the floor of the tank on top of upside-down pots (to get them closer to the light), all with trays under them, and there's a thin layer of gravel in the bottom of the tank, which I pour a half-inch layer of water on for humidity. When most of that evaporates, I pour more.

When I first setup my four terraria, I placed a 2" thick layer of dried long-fibered sphagnum moss at the bottom and thoroughly drenched it with distilled water. I then setup the rest of the terrarium (lights, fan, plants.) The plants are individually potted and placed in plastic saucers standing on the sphagnum moss. I keep the moss wet by adding water as necessary until the moss layer is barely submerged under distilled water.

One year later, the dead-looking sphagnum moss is a nice lime green and thriving (growing)! That's right....the dead-looking moss you buy actually has many moss spores and if given the appropriate conditions, they will germinate. This serves three purposes. 1) The moss is a natural competetor of algae and molds/fungus--I have never had to change the water at the bottom of my terraria. 2) The moss holds water and provides my plants with constant humidity. 3) Most importantly, makes the bottom of the tank look like a bog....it is so aesthetically pleasing to see my CPs growing in the comfort of my house in what appears to be a bog!

Two notes if you attempt this: 1) You must provide the wetted moss with light shortly after initially placing it in the tank....if kept completely dark for 3 days or more it will mold. 2) water only with distilled (or comparable) water...just like you would with your CPs.

Good luck with your terrarium.

To keep the water clear in the bottom of the terrarium: Actually, there are certain products laboratories use for keeping microbes from growing in their warm water baths. It's not bleach. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of some other product that could be bought not through a laboratory vendor.

Well, this is just in my case, and I realize it may be unusual, but I have no problem. I don't have 2 inches, but I have enough water at the bottom of my tank as to where it should be causing the problems that you're worried about. I think as long as you watch it, it'll be ok. My water only occasionally gets the funk. Just use your nose and eyes to check on the water. I'd be more worried about the plants, anyway, as some may not appreciate the extra water, but that depends on what you're growing in there and their substrate.

Back