What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red-tube sar

Is there currently a world shortage of the red-tube form of Sar. alata? I've been looking for one of these for ages and I haven't seen any for sale ...ever!
Any thoughts?
Matt

They are hard to come by. Red tubes of any species. You are sure you mean alata right?

Well, Tre, I think the man knows what he is looking for. Red form s. alata is not that impossible to find. However, most reds I have ever seen were in private collections, and not from any CP site I can think of. I can try to get you a red tube form by next spring, but no sooner, unfortunately. And, you will pay. Not a lot if I can find it, but enough.

I was just curious to know. I mean in my personal experience new joiners are usually newbes (Obviously probibly not this one) and most don't have the latin names down with the plants yet. I am sure you can find them. And if anyone would be able to find one it would be bugweed

So how much are we talking? And why do they seem to be so rare in cultivation? - I meen they are certainly striking. Is it that they don't hold their color in cultivation?

matopis, where in Oregon are you? If you have not done so already, a visit with Dean Cook in Eugene might be instructive.

The Dark tube form of alata is not rare in cultivation. It is simply not as widely available as the typical alata forms. Phil Sheridan has a beautiful dark alata that he calls "Purple helmet" (keep it clean everyone) these sell for about $30. Check out the Meadowview Biological Station web site for details.

The darker forms of alata are typically more common in the eastern zone of alata habitat. I have no problem maintaining the dark color when these plants are grown in full sun.

One last note: This is one of the alata forms that I have to label carefully, if I lost the labels to my Sarracenia collection, I would have a very hard time distinguishing this alata form from some of the rubra forms until they flowered...

Steve

Yes Steve I fell for that one once already. Keep it clean, those Brits have some words
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ June 02 2005,1:50)]matopis, where in Oregon are you? If you have not done so already, a visit with Dean Cook in Eugene might be instructive.
How do you know I'm from Oregon?!
And yes I've gone to Dean's but he didn't have anything to sell me at the time.

It says it in your profile if you put it there. Or Bob Z is telepathic.

Back