What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rat snake

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wild

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
This is a amazing story. The place that I work is way back off the main road. We finished one job and had to go and pickup the big boom truck to do another. We got there and I started the boom truck and while I was waiting for the air pressure to build, I decided to look around to see if I could find a snake. I looked in all the normal places, but all I found was earthworms. I spent about 10 minutes in all looking. Me and my coworker got in the truck and headed for the next job. We were driving down the gravel road back to the main road, and we were about 100ft from the main road when I saw something black just laying in the gravel road. I asked my buddy "Is that a snake?"
He said "No way, that has to be a stick or something"
I said "It wasn't there 15 minutes ago."
He then said "There's no way that is a snake, it's too big to be a snake."
I got closer and I knew that I was looking at a snake but I just couldn't believe that I was seeing what I was seeing.
We drove right up on it and it never moved. I turned on the parking brakes and jumped out to get a better look. It was stretched out almost halfway across the road and part of it was still in the grass. It was a black rat snake between 5 feet to 5 1/2 feet. As big around as a small orange or apple.
I walked up behind it so it couldn't turn around and disappear into the grass. This whole time it never moved. I was starting to worry that we may have ran over it when we first drove in. I touched it's tail to make sure it was alive, it still didn't move. I started to pick it up and then it came to life and curled up and S'ed it's neck.I kept trying to find a way to get ahold of it but there was no way without getting bit. So I went to the truck and got a piece of sealtight conduit and used that to move his head so I could pick him up. I picked him up and he started wiggling. I had to hold my arm up to about my head height just so he clear the ground. I put him over in the wheat field beside the road and he crawled away.
This is the biggest snake I have ever held. It's also the second biggest snake I have ever seen in the wild.
It was awesome.

Wow. Is that the same thing as a black snake?? I know they get pretty big. I guess the largest snakes I've seen were around 3 feet...maybe a little longer. Growing up we mostly saw garter snakes, black snakes, cottonmouth moccasins and copperheads. The last two aren't too fun to run into.
confused.gif

I have held a big snake at Seaworld a long time ago when I was a kid. I guess I find snakes kinda boring. They mostly just lay around...or slither away out of sight.

But that does sound like a pretty cool snake sighting. Can't believe you picked it up though.

I know...you are used to handling snakes...bwaaahahaha!

That is very cool Oz.

I had a great snake experience this past weekend as well! My kids and I were looking for snakes in our back field. I have a few old boards that I laid out a few years ago and we consistently find garters when we turn them over. This weekend we turned the biggest board over and found a beautiful eastern milk snake. I was amazed! First time I ever found one in Michigan! The snake was about 3 feet long and very gentle. WE looked at it for about ten mins and then let it go in our garden. I hope to see it again

My buddy couldn't believe it either. When I got back in the truck he said "You couldn't have paid me enough money to pick up that snake."

I told him I should have chased him around the truck with it.
lol

ozzy, i think you would love a trip out to the reptile rescue (serpentarium) here in washington. home of the famous albino alligator, any & all snakes, even venemous ones, a snapping turtle, frogs, spiders, and on & on... it's not a bog joint so they make the most out of the room they have. all the aniamals were pets at one time from throughout the northwest.
in the entry an entire rack of reptiles are avaiable for handeling. including a taiwan bueaty, which is how he convinced me to adopt a foster bueaty snake i had been careing for. really, how can you say no to someone who falls alseep in your hair?

Back