What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gracilis black form

Hello,

I've got a Gracilis black form, from Malesiana tropicals, but i don't understand very well, cos the pitchers are quite red, close to a brown colour, but not dark. For information, i've got this plant since 8 month, and it's growing well, but the plant doesn't looks like the picture taken from the Ch'ien lee and Clarke book :" Pitchers plant from sarawak "
Somebody has got this gracilis, and do the pitchers are really dark ?

Thanks a lot.

Greetings,

I also own this same plant from Malesiana Tropicals and have experienced the same phenomenon. But I have noticed that the truely black pitchers are colored only when the plants are grown in direct full sunlight and only from basal shoots. Upper pitchers tend to be more red-purple range and even green. Also fertilizing has a lot to do with coloring as I have had plants that were neglected at far corners just getting water by luck and nothing else, and strangely enough they had the darkest shiny black pitchers. While those with better care and fertilizers developed more brown-red coloring pitchers.

Either wait for side/basal shoots to develop or cut da bugga and see what happens!

MM

Thanks a lot for your informations RainforestGuy !

My recently recieved plant is also dark red but it turned darker in more sun.

Back