What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventricosa "white"?

Hello everybody. Here are 2 pictures of the pitchers of a Nepenthes ventricosa I recieved as a trade several months ago from Stephen (C3PO).

I think that the coloration of the pitchers is very diferent of my other ventricosas, and these pitchers are not young, nor the plant. And all the pitchers ahve this same color. So I was wondering if this color is becuase of a mutation, a varietion or something else. If anyone have an idea, please say something, because i am really curious about this.
confused.gif

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSACREAM.jpg
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSACREAMPERISTOME.jpg

As you see in the pic, the pitchers are very light green, almost white. The plant is side by side with my other ventricosa plants but it looks very rare, since the other plants have beautiful red coloration, (or pink as you may want to call it), but this rare one is almost white.

Any info, or guess?
confused.gif

Thank you guys!
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

Many upper pitchers of my ventricosa turns a pale yellow, lime or even white. Its normal. When you see what the basal pitchers look like, that is what its normal coloring looks like. I really need to get a new digital camera, as I have one now with a flowering spike with a long line of white pitchers close to the tip, with a cluster of basal pitchers that are the deepest red you'll ever see! If I hadn't mention that this was the same plant, you'd think that I had two growing in the same pot side by side.

Many species also exhibit dimorphic coloring from lower and upper pitcher. If you saw my N. eymae as a small plant, they'd look almost the same as N. maxima. But when you see a tall flowering plant you'd think it was a giant N. inermis!

But the yellow is a beautiful coloring in ventricosa. I don't know if anyone has them that are pale like that upper or lower at that color the whole time!

MM

Hello RainforestGuy! So, you say this difference in color is normal between upper and lower pitchers. I see, but these are lower pitchers. Does that matters? Or is it just normal even in lower pitchers.

Anyone else have an idea?
confused.gif

Jorge,

The pitchers in your pictures are upper pitchers - you can tell by the shape of the pitcher, the fact that the tendril attchment is on the same side as the lid attachment and is facing 'away' from the tendril.

I would reiterate that this is not a terribly unusual colour for ventricosa uppers. I have plants that produce this colouring, however I notice that colour will vary from time to time depending on the season and conditions. Sometimes the uppers will be almost pure white, sometimes with a pink peristome, sometimes with a redder peristome, sometimes with a greenish hue. 'Lower' uppers on the climbing vine will be more pink in texture. I notice more variability in ventricosa pitchers (as in all on the one plant) than in most other species.

Hello! So this are upper pitchers? I am sorry for this error of mine. Among all the Nepenthes i have, i haven't had upper pitcher before, so i do not have any experience with upper pitchers.

I thought that the way to recognice upper pitchers was if the tendril has a loop, but now i see there are other ways. This is so cool!

I am excited that finally i have upper pitchers;0)

Thank you guys, and sorry for the mistake.
smile.gif

Back