What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep. 'gentle'

Hey all. Yesterday I went to Lowe's to get soil for some assorted CPs, when I happened to see three good sized Nepenthes hanging in the outside garden area! They were labelled as "Nepenthes 'Gentle'" but look to me like regular maximas. Does 'Gentle' designate a hybrid, cultivar or just some random wholesaler name? Thanks.

-D. Lybrand

Gentle is a maxima hybrid from the DeRoose nurseries in Holland. It is also known as Cornelius Bak.
I am thinking it's a fusca x maxima hybrid(possibly with another unknown), but my memory is not what it used to be, lol. It is a possible sibling of Miranda.
Trent Meeks knows more about these than I.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks. I see where it might have fusca. Does DeRoose nursery have a homepage or anything?

-D. Lybrand

I got a 'gentle' from CA carnivores. I can't get it to pitcher though.:(

Gentle is suppose to be N. fusca x maxima
I have doubts that the pollen parent was a maxima. There are some fuscas circulating with the name of maximas in Holland especially, and this hybrid is one of several that has been released. After talking with a nursery offical at the Florida nursery, they claim that slaes for nepenthes has been brisk (even though Florida sells more than they can produce), Holland nurseries claim that they are not as popular as some other items on their list and decides what to propagate for slae based on sales. (for example, they will use the sales of nepenthes compared to sales of something like Boston Fern, and Boston ferns will sell nepenthes ten to one, therefore nepenthes is considered a poor seller).

Deroos nursery's page is http://www.derooseplants.com/en/over_contact.asp
but they are strictly wholesale and will not comment on anything unless you're a retail/wholesale suppleir.

Michael

In addition to what Joe and Michael said, the exact parentage of all the Deroose hybrids are proprietary information, so we can only guess the exact parentage. Deroose hybrids are named after the mother (or pod bearer plant). For example, the "N. alata" they sell is obviously N. ventrata, so the pod parent was an alata and the pollen plant was a ventricosa.
It looks like a fusca x maxima to me.

When they release their "N. ventracosa" in the US that should be good although ti is definatly not a ventracosa

I take that back. I have a 'velvet'. I read somewhere that these were the same. Is that true?

Back