What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing in pure lfs

I have all my Nepenthes in pure LFS with some orchid bark in the mix. Is that mix suitable for Nepenthes or should I add some peat moss? Some of my plants have a more yellowish hue to their leaves and I was wondering if it was some kind of nutrient problem. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Nick

If you plan on fertilizing your plants, NZ LFS will break down rapidly. I like LFS for getting newly acquired plants established rapidly, keeping soil moist, with a good pH. I use enought to produce a good root ball for a 4-5 inch pot. I sometimes supplement the LFS with Red Wood Soil Conditioner (RWSC) as well as small/fine orchid bark. As the LFS breaks down, the other components keep the media loose and airy. But due to the area I grow my plants, I need to keep them really wet as they dry out too fast for comfort. So I tend to overpot and use a lot of coco bark in the small to medium grade. I add fir bark, RWSC, sometimes coarse peatmoss and if in deep pots I use either coral chips or red or black cinders.

Best wishes in your choice of soil media.

M

I dont think that the yellow leaves have anything to do with nutríent problem..its sound more to me as its lack of light..
I grow my neps in live spahnum moss and perlit(70/30)
And they are growing like mad..

Back