What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coconut fiber pot

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
I don't have much doubt a large hanging coconut fiber pot will be fine to repot N. miranda into, but I'd feel better clearing it through the Nep-safety filter before proceeding to the task. So evaluate away.

Thanx.

Just make sure its big enough..

Soak it thouroughly for a few days, changing the water several times, to make sure there are no salts. Sri Lanka products are usually pretty safe, but some others come from places close to the ocean.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks... *adds that to menial task list*

EDIT: Holy crap I just realized how much distilled water that's going to require @_@ Wait... I bet I can just put it outside on the patio. It's been raining almost every day here lately.

I use 14" coconut lined hanging baskets for my neps. In the 2 years I have used them I have had no problems.
I just rinsed the coconut liner before use.

Well, it was raining for months straight, then I put the pot outside to get rained on, and the daily raining cycle immediately stopped. Go figure. It rained once on it in the couple weeks it was out there. Anyhoo, yesterday I gave up on waiting and used almost an entire gallon of distilled to pour over it, then I brought it to the back porch to repot the plants into it. Man, I just TOOK that plastic pot OFF of it, piece by cracking piece. Made it alot easier.. otherwise there was gonna be no possible way to get those plants out of that pot. Anyway, I repotted it into the large pot.. wow, what a depletion of distilled water, trying to wet that soil. The frickin' water drained out of the pot before it soaked into the dirt!! For crying out loud, I had almost a gallon of distilled water spread across the floor by the time I was done. Anyway, since the dirt still wasn't wet enough, when we got hit by a Hurricane Dennis rain band, I put it outside to get rained on. For some reason it rained on one side of the yard, and on the side I set the plant, it rained very little once I put it there. It's all against me, I tell you.

hmm.. what about the dishwasher without soap?

I don't know about that, Clint. Even if there was no residue of soap in there, I suspect the water quality is not right in the tap, if she is using distilled water. Not to mention, it might get ripped a little with the water pressure in there.
FTG, why don't you soak it in a large bucket for a couple of days, change the water and soak for a couple of more? That should do the trick.

Cheers,

Joe

Like I said, I do not have that much distilled water. I don't think we have a big enough bucket, either.. but anyway, it doesn't matter now.. I already put the plants in it a while back before I left all daytime activities for the academy for two weeks, and all's been doing good since.

Back