What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarnok's problem

I bought the Tarnok in the picture below this spring from a local nursery. The pitchers just don't seem to want to stand up. Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the plant? Are the pitchers just so tall they aren't going to stand up? The leaning pitchers kinda take away from the looks of my bog pot.

1600579BogPot.jpg
smile_h_32.gif

they aren't etoliated for sure. a strong rain can bend them over when they are developing so they grow that way.

stake them up.

I usually just get a heavy gauge copper wire and make a hoop. You can just get a coat hanger for the same... plus it rusts!
smile.gif

Sometimes leuco pitchers in the spring are too narrow to stand very well. My Tarnok is doing the same thing, but some of its pitchers are standing well, too.

The best method is too get a thin clothing hanger, form it into a sufficiently large circle so that it can encompass the weaker leaves, and then stick one end of it into the soil. Basically, make a halo with an extension gowind downward into the soil. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Maybe as the season progresses the pitchers will "bulk up" and stand on their own.

As PTF mentioned, leuco spring pitchers are flimsy at best. As the season ages, you will notice sturdier ones are produced. The wire stakes that everyone keeps talking about work really well.

That new pitcher looks sturdier though
smile.gif

Leuco spring pitchers aren't the best at standing up
smile_h_32.gif

Back