What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting rainwater

I have several 3 gallon tupperware tubs set up outside to catch rainwater as it's been storming like crazy here in Buffalo and I've been spending a small fortune on distilled water. I went out to collect full tubs this evening and noticed that all the water has a brownish-yellow tint. Is this algae starting up? Is this OK water to use for my CPs? Or did some kids just pee in my rainwater? (j/k but I figure I'd post the comment before anyone else got to it)...
smile_n_32.gif

LOL!! ~Niki~
smile_n_32.gif

It rained here earlier and I went out to collect some water, as I'm down to enough to maybe last this week. It has not rained in some time. The water was brown coming out of the downspout. I did not keep any of that water.
Then another storm came through raining harder and longer. I waited about 5 minutes before I collected any water and the water was nice and clear. It just had to wash all the dirt that has been collecting on the roof. I filled up 16 gallons, and still have 8 empty gallon jugs to fill, but it stopped raining.

I heard it's bad to collect water that falls from your gutters or roof cause it may collect minerals.~Niki~

The water I had in the tubs was straight from the good ol sky and the tubs were thoroughly cleaned and dried beforehand. Think I should use the water?

Probably fine.. It may settle out. Most likely dust, pollen, etc collected from the air as the rain drops fell.

I've always collected the rainwater from my roof for my CPs and I've not lost a plant yet, touch wood. So does every British CP grower I know.
Mind you, my roof is Welsh slate, and that's about as inert a substance as you're likely to find, LOL.
t.

Back