What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer reading

I've been feeling rich and picked up two inspiring books on botanical art. I've always loved the paintings of old plant specimens especially the well done stuff. These books both show botanical art but in different styles but both highly lifelike.

Botanical Illustration
This one is my favorite as it describes creating each style of botanical presentation from sceintific  (and the many styles) to folksy but with an emphasis on creating the more technical/scientific "species profile" aspect which I really love.
http://www.amazon.com/exec....s=books
(picked this up at Barnes and noble books)

Painting Flowers A to Z
This one is more like a book of tutorials on painting flowers/plants of many types (including some orchids) and uses oils but you can do the same with acrylics with extender medium added to your paints.
http://www.amazon.com/exec....s=books
(picked this up at michaels craft store)

Hopefully someone will find these books interesting too!
smile.gif

Thanks! I ordered the Botanical Illustration!
biggrin.gif

When I'm independently wealthy I'm going to be doing a lot of this stuff.
smile.gif

Cool, one caveat with the Botanical Illustration is she doesn't show as many step by step progressions like the Painting Flowers one does. More or less how the colors play together to get a realistic edge. I'm still looking for a decent botanical pen & ink line drawing book for technical pens but I haven't found any yet.

Cool, well if I start doing more of this I will have to order that one too! You guys should post some pics if you do any drawings. I will as well. Probably will be a while for me though. I would like to do some 3D modeling on the computer of the plants too. Same as endparenthesis......when I'm independantly wealthy, I'll have plenty of time for all of this
biggrin.gif

Back