What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a friend

IGUANA VERDE. Clase: Reptilia. Subclase: Diápsidos. Superorden: Lepidosauria. Orden: Squamata. Suborden: Sauria. Familia: Iguanidae.
Hiya... a fried have a iguana... i post up some info of the specie, im a noob talking abouth reptiles, the tail have a scrash is light red, it have 3 months. firts was a red spot, now it open like a cut, is like 8 months old, he give him full sun, vitamin d3 and calcium, what can he do?, thanks for all.

its not natural but i have no clue what it is or how to treat it?
sorry
smile_h_32.gif

mmmm, well i tell my friend go with a vet.

i have a 4 year old iguana and he has had some injuries including a small section of its tail broken off and is still unknown how it happened as my iguana is very tame. but mostly his tail has grown back a little. my iguana had cut its nose on the chicken wire originally until i fixed that problem. He also had his lip bleed due to a build up and dryness of the mouth. Iguanas heal really well so it should be fine but you could take it to the vet. Usually cuts on the tail are pretty common and usually heal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Jan. 30 2006,11:40)]IGUANA VERDE. Clase: Reptilia. Subclase: Diápsidos. Superorden: Lepidosauria. Orden: Squamata. Suborden: Sauria. Familia: Iguanidae.
Hiya... a fried have a iguana... i post up some info of the specie, im a noob talking abouth reptiles, the tail have a scrash is light red, it have 3 months. firts was a red spot, now it open like a cut, is like 8 months old, he give him full sun, vitamin d3 and calcium, what can he do?, thanks for all.
Iguanas heal pretty well, so this sounds like an infection of some sort. Best thing is to get it to a vet ASAP. If it gets bad, the tail will probably have to be amputated. (This isn't that big of a deal -- it slowly grows back, though it'll always be shorter than it would have been otherwise.)

If this is the first time you're taking it to the vet, bring along a fresh stool sample and have them do a fecal float on it to see if it's got any internal parasites. Most store-bought igs do, and this inexpensive test can save you great amounts of headache down the line.

Also, I'd avoid Vitamin D supplements if the reptile gets unfiltered sun for extended times. While hypocalcemia is a big problem in iguanas, you can also cause hypercalcemia, which is just as bad. If it doesn't get unfiltered sun (through a screen or outdoors, not through glass -- glass blocks the UV-B that the reptile uses to produce Vit. D), get a UV-B-generating Fluoro tube for its enclosure. Should be mounted as close to the ig as possible.

A really excellent book on iguana care is Melissa Kaplan's Iguanas for Dummies.

Back