What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs with animals

• Thread starter back2eight
  • Start date
This topic is debated quite a lot. I keep CPs in my animal tanks with no problem. Is there anyone else here who also does this? I want to talk with someone with experience doing this.

I've had an N. bellii growing in my pinktoe tarantula's terrarium for 6 months now without any problems for either.

But I wouldn't try to keep the tarantula with a nepenthes that produced very large pitchers, or with sundews that she'd probably shed spider-fur all over and get tangled in. It can be done, you just have to be concious of what you're combining, being sure that both can live in the same temperature/humidity requirements and that one won't damage the other.

The forum member named Yuri Wildcat has done a lot of research on the concept of a vivarium and may have some insight.

i keep terrestrial Utrics in with my dart frogs and Mantellas, i would also consider using Pings in certain areas. i stay away from Neps, dews and VFT's though with the neps its a personal call, some have done it succesfully but i dont want to risk a $25 plant eating a couple $50 frogs
smile_m_32.gif

Hi there. I have a frog in with my sundew and butterwort, and they pose no problem. Hell, even the little crickets excape without a struggle! They are just too big. With the pitcher plants, I imagine that anything big enough to stretch taller than the size of the pitcher would be easily fine. What sort of creatures do you intend to put in with the plants?

Crap.  First I put Droseras in my ant farm and soon there were no more ants.  So I decided I better keep the Drosera with larger animals, but the cattle ate them.  Hmmm ... maybe if I move the cattle in with the crocodiles I can safely keep CPs in the pasture.  This food chain stuff is so difficult.

Bruce -

You missed the most important part of the food chain: Feed the humans to the crocs! That would help put all the rest back into balance...

All kidding aside, larger native treefrogs (Green treefrogs, Gray treefrogs, etc.) do very well, even with larger Nepenthes. I find them all the time on my big Neps in the greenhouse, and I'm sure they would do fine in a terrarium with a smaller one.

Mike

what abou

What about their feces?Carnivorous plants like nutrient free soil.

what something likes and what something tolerates are two separate things.........

I know this thread is a bit old, but I believe some CP vendor has sucessfully raised Dart Frog Tadpoles in large Nep pitchers before. I would think they would partially digest the tadpole but I guess they didn't.

If you have crocs in Connecticut you have bigger problems.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I believe some CP vendor has sucessfully raised Dart Frog Tadpoles in large Nep pitchers before. I would think they would partially digest the tadpole but I guess they didn't.

Seen it on a documentary...posed no problem to either but depends on sp. of each i think...

very possible. dont tadpoles have a mucus layer on the outside?? the acid in neps is very mild. our stomach is lined with mucus so think the same way!

Alex

You are thinking of a terrarium supply company. I dont think i can put the name due to board rules ( ??). But yes, they have had multiple clutches spawn in nepenthes pitchers. I myself, will be putting nepenthes in my large vivarium with my frogs. If i notice the pitchers getting to big or forsee any problems then ill intervene pretty quickly.

Back