Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praying Mantis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mantisis are STricktly Carnivorous, IF you get a Small mantid, I wuold stick with soft bodied critters, and NO fireflies, I had a little mantis and he died I think from the Firefly I gave him, he had a struggle with it too. But I dont know what I did wrong really..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 19 2006,2:44)]Aren't they a protected critter? As in we shouldn't be keeping them?
    Not the ones in the US. I've heard if is going to be illegal to import them soon do to the USDA cracking down on some laws they haven't been enforcing.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell them in pet stores in Canada as pets all the time. Now that I'm in Florida there's always a few outside in my backyard trying to catch their dinner
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Just the other week I had one on my big group of luecos and then all of a sudden it died. almost every time I saw it it had a fly or a moth but on friday it was laying on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool... looks like a Ghost Mantid could be a good candidate for a Lowland Nepenthes tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep and breed I.Oratorias almost year round. I also keep VFT's =).

About the original question regarding being able to keep mantidds with CP's:
    I would personally never house a mantid with any CP. To me my mantids are way too cool and precious to risk losing. Now, you have to know that I am not well informed of all types of CP's. There might be some that may not pose a threat to the mantid (becuase of size, etc.). Like I mentioned though, I refuse to take risks with any of my pets, but that does not mean you cannot do it...

Other afactors that might affect this housing combo:
    -The plant may require a terrarium that is too large for the mantid. (Mantids have a hard time finding prey in large terrariums).
    -Humidity level requirements for the plant and mantid may vary.
    -Moths may decide not to eat certain parts of their meal (mine refuse to eat moth wings, and just let them fall to the substrate); if this happens, mold WILL grow on the insect parts. This will require extra cleaning and pose a threat to the plant.

Hope this helps...
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12