Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non feeding black king snake!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so im gonna try the brianed tomo...i'll let you know if she takes it or not.

Yeah it was last summer, thats why im so concerned about her.....if there was a big time gap i wouldnt be as worried but because it so recent!!

Thanks
    Sphinxx
    ive checked her out and her scales are all flat, cant see no skin underneath at all.

thats what ive been doing (seeing what works for her) with her feeding, as opposed to listening to people.....half the people who try to advise me in the past have never even owned a snake!!
    but after talking to you and thinking about it im gonna up the food size....as soon as she starts eating again that is!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually better to go with bigger food, though it doesn't matter quite as much with colubrids. Thing is, snakes (especially pythons and boas, but colubirds to a lesser extent) can up- and down-regulate their digestive systems as needed, reducing size, acidity, cell number, intestinal villi length, and absorbancy between feedings to save energy. Having to repeatedly up-regulate then down-regulate due to frequent feedings often means they get less out of the meal, since it costs energy to modify the digestive system.

Plus, less-frequent big meals means less frequent messes on the cage floor.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been out of town, that's why I haven't responded to this. Sounds like everybody is giving you good advice. I'll throw my two cents in too.

I have a king snake about the same age as yours. Mine loves to eat. I feed mine every week too. I feed her adult rats and quails. There are some pics of her somewhere on here of her eating a quail and then she came after me for desert, but that's another story.

Sometimes mine will refuse to eat for a month. No big deal, when she's ready I know she'll eat again.

I have one question for you. Do you feed live or frozen? I feed frozen. If I just drop the rat in she'll crawl to it, sometimes she'll strike and then eat it, but most of the time she'll act like it's not even there. I have to move the rat around to make her think it's alive. Sometimes she'll strike constrict and then lose interest. So to prevent that I hold the rat and pull on it after she strikes to make her think it's resisting.
    So if you feed with frozen, you might want to try this. Be careful though, make sure you keep your hand out of her way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Ozzy, sounds like you speak from experiance. yes if feeding F/T wiggling is needed for some snakes. i use a fish hook remover for this. its got lil jaws that work pergect for grabbing a rats or a mouces tail and it will keep my hand atleast a foot away from the snakes mouth. i have to do this alot with my spotted pythons which is odd since they have been fed F/T since their first meal. my Boa consrictor however slams the rats so hard that if i try to hold on the tail gets ripped off. no wiggling needed for that monster
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite tricks for boas and pythons is to heat the mouse up under a lamp (not too long or it'll explode). Once the mouse is nice and hot, no wiggling is needed. The retic babies will literally launch themselves out of the cage trying to get the mouse. Pity it won't work on colubrids, though (no heat sensors aside from pit vipers).

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, so the update is that she STILL has not eaten, i was advised to defrost the mice using a pot of hot water with a smaller pot inside and putting mice in that, did this and she showed no interest whatsoever!!
    So i picked one up and wiggled it about..she didnt want to know at all she was more interested in getting out and away!
    Was going to try braining but if you have any other suggestions that i could try before doing that i would LOVE to hear them?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still feed my kingsnakes live food. Old school I'm afraid, but easier for me. The two kings I have make a real show of feeding. Even now during their "season", food is still Numero Uno with these guys!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before this she loved her food, it was cool to watch she would go creepin up, launch herself at the mice then wind herself around it before eating it.....now not a thing not an ounce of interest at all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast