Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non feeding black king snake!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Hi all, so the update is that she STILL has not eaten, i was advised to defrost the mice using a pot of hot water with a smaller pot inside and putting mice in that, did this and she showed no interest whatsoever!!
    Heat won't do anything to entice a strike; outside of pit vipers, no colubroid has IR sensors (The same cannot be said of boids, many of whom have the sensors even if they lack the pits, like boa constrictors).

Quote[/b] ]Was going to try braining but if you have any other suggestions that i could try before doing that i would LOVE to hear them?!!
    If you know anyone else with a snake or lizard, try rubbing that on the mouse.

Other than that, your options are braining, force-feeding, and just waiting until she gets hungry. As long as she's not losing weight, don't worry, these animals can go remarkable lengths of time without eating.

Quote[/b] ]I still feed my kingsnakes live food. Old school I'm afraid, but easier for me.
    But dangerous for the snake. I've seen pythons with scars all over their heads and missing eyes from when the mouse got a bite in before dying. Live should be reserved as the last option before force-feeding, due to this sort of danger to the animal.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah gotta say i dont think id try feeding her live, dont like the idea of it at all.
    Aside from the dangers of it biting the snake, ive then got to catch the mouse and get it out without the snake making a break for freedom!!
    I generally have nieces and my nephew round who are very interested in holding the snake and was advised that if around children you should not feed live food as the snake is more inclined to bite if near feeding day and its feeling a bit hungry...true or not i dont know but am not willing to test the theory!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so am going to try braining in a few days see if that gets her going.
    Force feeding? how do you force feed a snake?
    shes lost no weight as far as the eye can see, cant get her out as she seems to just want to get away, shes not acting like herself at all still,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Aside from the dangers of it biting the snake, ive then got to catch the mouse and get it out without the snake making a break for freedom!!
    and mice typically aren't well-behaved, at least feeder mice. I've gotten some nasty bites from them, worse than anything I've gotten from snakes.

Quote[/b] ]you should not feed live food as the snake is more inclined to bite if near feeding day and its feeling a bit hungry...true or not i dont know but am not willing to test the theory!!
    Part of it depends on the snake, I think. Some of my animals don't get snappy even if they smell food, others have such a powerful feeding response that they'll literally fling themselves out of the cage with the force of their strike the moment the door is opened.

Quote[/b] ]Force feeding? how do you force feed a snake?
    Typically you don't, but a vet does. If you don't know what you're doing, you can seriously injure the snake, so it's only advisable for experience reptile keepers who've been taught by someone who knows what they're doing.

Quote[/b] ]shes lost no weight as far as the eye can see, cant get her out as she seems to just want to get away, shes not acting like herself at all still
    Yeah, season behavior changes are a pain. My lizard goes nuts during the early spring, trying to get out and find a female to mate with.

Mokele

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hognose stopped eating for about a month. He was eating hopper mice. All of a sudden he had no interest at all in them.He would just puff up and hiss when I put on in the cage. I decided to buy a pinky and see if he would be interested in that. He was. He ate it as soon as I put it in the cage. I feed him pinkies once a week for about a moth and a half and then I bought a pinky and rubbed it all over a hopper. I gave him the hopper and he ate it. Now he's back to eating hoppers. I would just give her more time or maybe get a big rat pinky and see what happens. Rubbing a mouse with a lizard or snake is a good idea too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, sometimes it's just the mice. For a while I fed my Tegu on mice I was scavenging from the university's transgenic mouse facility (can't beat free), then he just started turning them down, and only began eating again once I gave him the mice I actually paid for.

Mokele

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, somebody onanother site brought up the subject of worms, said that maybe shes not eating because she has them, he doesnt really know much about snakes so i thought id run it by you,

what d'ya think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the source of the snake; if it was originally wild-caught, it might have parasites, but few kings are caught from the wild anymore. Also, parasites would induce weight loss, and often the snake is lethargic, which sounds the opposite of your situation.

When in doubt, take it to the vet (since I doubt you have the microscope you need to do a home fecal float), but that doesn't sound like a big possibility to me.

Best possible thing is to just buy some scales and keep track of the weight (actually weigh the snake every week and write it down in a little log book). If it's losing weight fast, then there's a problem, if not, no biggie.

Mokele

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast