What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scales falling off on RES turtle

Curious if anyone else notices this on their turtles. I noticed a few scales in the water. and when i checked one of my guys had some loose scales, that i could pull off.

Is this normal or a sign of a problem. Other than this they seem healthy, growing in leaps and bounds..

Hi jojo! I think Schloaty may have some knowledge about turtles.

howdy scott... whats going on? all things are well in the south. You'd be so proud i found some wild sundews in the property slated for destruction across the street. and i knew what they were...

Here is a blog of my turtles.
http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006/06/turtles.html

And all the critters.... grin.

As long as the scales you find are transparent, the turtle is fine. If you can see bone on the spot they just lost a scute, that's bad, and probably a fungal infection.

Mokele

Thanks Mokele. i saved them. They are transparent to a degree, slightly whitish or milky looking. Will check again their backs and see if something abnormal is showing.

They do get a bit of green on them occasionally. i read or was told that wasn't a big deal. I just scrub them clean periodically.

I have my vet out today for my birds and goats, and i bet i could ask her to take a look at the turtles.. ha. i totally forgot..

If it's not missing any scales, this sounds like normal shedding to me.

Sounds like normal shedding, caused by growth. As with snakes, turtles shed their skin in order to grow. Under the shed scute (scale on the shell) is a new larger scute to take its place. Like others have said, as long as what is still ON the turtle's shell looks the same (smooth, kind of shiny) as what came off, you're in good shape.

Mike

Thanks for the responses... sorry it took so long to check in. But since i was cleaning the tank it reminded me. Glad to know this is pretty normal cause i have one having a huge growth spurt. He was half the size of his brother, and now they are almost exactly the same size. And scutes all over the bottom of the tank. Now if i could only build a pond cause they are outgrowing their 100 gallon tank...

Back