What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blue eyes on a snake?

• Thread starter jojo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    send
here is a link to pics on my blog (will send link of blog not pic since last time something didn't work) Picture i think is of a ribbon snake.?? confirmation please. and what is up with a snake with milky blue eyes? they were amazing to look at. But someone said it was mites? if so, does anyone know why? I'm not sure if the blue in eyes will show on screen. Will send a private pic if needed...

http://jojosfarmlife.blogspot.com/2006/07/blue-eyed-snake.html

its a ribbon or garter snake, not sure what species but i think there are several species and subspecies in your state. if he has milky eyes he is in blue and should shed with in the week. shoot me a larger pic at rattler_mt@yahoo.com and ill check

I'm sure it's a garter. Rattlers right about it getting ready to shed.

rattler sent you two pics.. if any good they can be put up here. i think it shows the eyes better than when i save to web... and i haven't figured out how to upload pics.

so it s not mites, its a sign of molt? eyes changing?

It is a wandering garter, I must have caught more than 500 of thses as a kid. Rattler and Ozzy are correct about the blue eyes being a sign of pre-shed.

Well, there are blue eyed snakes too. They are called leucisics (sp). Solid white snakes with blue eyes. There are about 9 blue eyed, white ball pythons in the world at the moment. Many lucy corn snakes as well. Of course they were bread to get the white color with blue eyes, and I don't think they naturally occur. If they did they wouldn't last long. Too visible to have a chance.

As all the others said though normally the blue eye coloration is a pending shed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ July 26 2006,8:52)]Many lucy corn snakes as well
Most Lucy corns have white/grey eyes

Thanks so much, you're all a wealth of knowledge.... I'm going to go find the shed skin... i know where his next hiding place was...

just had time to checked out the pics, most definatly about to shed, watch out if yah find it again, when the eyes are milky like that they tend to be fiesty. also alot of times the eyes go clear a day or so before the shed so if yah find him again and his eyes are clear but his colors are still rather drab he hasnt shed yet

cool thanks for the info... awesome. haven't found him yet. but will.

Well, pyro I guess thats what I get for assuming then.
smile_m_32.gif
I assumed since the lucy ball was white with blue then the lucy corn was as well. Thanks for that tidbit.
smile.gif

Back