What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider Shots!

Does any one know what this crazy colored one is?
87fe472d.jpg

15ea1d8c.jpg

and look at the size of this one!
0f0e6871.jpg

ce5b61c7.jpg

I thought it would eat the millipead. Oh well.

hmmm the first looks like a baby banana spider by the look of the body but not the color... the other reminds me of a wolf...
but don't take my word for it. i have only little knowledge on them

I know the second is a wolf but I just thought the first looked cool and was wondering what It was.

the second one is one of those wolf spiders that make those big webs with a funnel for the opening. the first one....i dont know. BTW Banana Spiders aka Wandering Spiders are extremly poisonous, dont make webs(they ambush) and liv in the tropics of south america...so yea. if anything id say its a young Orb Weaver.
Alex

Actually what jojo is talking about, the "banana spider" is a local term used in Florida. It is also called the Golden silk spider. (Nephila clavipes). They are large spiders that make orb shaped webs a few feet in diameter. See this is why using the scientific names stops the problems of local name differences or species confusion. Sorry that is just the zoology geek coming out in me.

Buster, is this the spider you're talking about?

15175152O288637024.jpg

smile.gif
cute interchange.

Yep. local name. In florida....oooooohhhh gave me the chillsss when i saw that picture... I have had those things jump on me while out in the wooods riding... and i know that they are pretty harmless. So, when i read gliders post i got hair on the arm raising...
they are harmless right? and they are huge.. And jump on you when you ride thru their webs... and jump off just as quick... It's their web getting stuck in my hair thats the worst...

What is their scientific name? not that anyone down here would know what i was talking about...

Back