What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philadelphia Reptile Expo

JBL

This weekend is the Philly Reptile Expo at Valley Forge Covention Center in PA. anyone out there going. Elgecko??

Go to www.philadelphiareptileexpo.com. for a listing of vendors.

I'm going with my daughter (dying to get a gecko) tomorrow at 10am.

No I'm not going but it sounds interesting.

This weekend is the NC reptile expo, and I'm not going. LOL

Who's that JBL guy? Is he new?

JBL? Don't know him. Must be a lurker...
confused.gif

Joe,
Tempting, but no.

Make sure you pick up a nice Leopard Gecko, or two, or three.....

While your there, get me a nice Bell Albino Male Leopard Gecko.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Sep. 01 2006,9:43)]While your there, get me a nice Bell Albino Male Leopard Gecko.
Sure, Steve. They're cheap, right?

I will most likely get a leopard or two or ....wife will be snippy, daughter happy!
smile.gif

What a tolerant wife I have!  Went to the show with my girl (she's ten) and bought the cutest banana blizzard gecko.  Young and very lavendar looking now, with blue eye shadow--it's a cutie!  He started shedding at the show and managed to eat a good bit of it before I got him home.  How cute!
smile.gif

Yummy..

I told you Ozzy. It's purple. I'd never eat anything purple...oh, but you might...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm having trouble heating one side of the tank. I bought an Exo Terra Heat Wave pad. It's 4 x 5 inches and only four watts and I feel NO heat. Maybe it's defective?

Any heating suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe,
I wish I had room to have some Banana Blizzard Geckos.

What substrate are you using?
Many people frown on sand, especially for juveniles. Sometimes the Leopard Geckos will eat it get sand impactions.
As for heating I use Zoo-Med UTH's. Never had a problem with them.
What I do so that there is a nice gradual gradient with the heat in the tank is first place about an inch, inch and a half of sand down. Then I cover the sand with ceramic tiles.

I do not know if you saw this picture in my post about the baby Tangerines I had hatch or not, but you can see the tile on top of the sand.

LGhouse.jpg

That's one of the best looking setup I've ever seen. One thing I have tried and I think I'll experiment a little more with is styrofoam. I took a block of styrofoam, carved it to look like a cliff side. I even cut in a cave for my viper gecko to hide in. He never goes in it though. He likes to hide between the top of the foam and the top of the cage.
I need to find some kind of sealant or paint the I'm sure will be safe, to make it more like rock. I've seen it done before but I don't know what they use. If anybody knows please let me know.

Hey Steve! I'm using fine coconut fiber. I hope that's not a problem.

Thanks for the comment on my tank Ozzy. I like to make them look as natural as possible.

Joe,
I would lose the coconut fiber.
Leopard Geckos come from areas that are hard packed clay and very rocky.

How is the UTH going to heat up a lose and very airy material? Plus if the gecko lays right on top the heat source against the glass, it could burn him.

http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33916

I like the tile over sand myself. The tile I bought at Lowes. It was around $1.50 for a 12 X 12 piece. They will cut your tile for .25 cents a cut so it will fit into your tank. Plus there are many different tile colors to choose from.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I made changes and Gomez seems happy. The wife? Not so happy.
smile_n_32.gif

Well buy your wife one too. She's just hurt that you bought one for your daughter and not for her. To make it up to her I think you should spend a little extra. Buy her a snake. Surprise her with it, She'll love you forever.

I tried surprising her with a snake, but she didn't like it.
confused.gif
Maybe if I spend some bucks and buy a bigger one, she would!
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah that'll work.
And get her a bouque of S.flava flowers. She'll be weak in the knees.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Sep. 05 2006,10:39)]I tried surprising her with a snake, but she didn't like it.
confused.gif
Maybe if I spend some bucks and buy a bigger one, she would!
smile_m_32.gif
Big, Big, mistake!! You should have skipped the larger snake!! She was secretly hoping for a Mexican Fire Leg (Brachypelma boehmei). Just think about the wonderful look on her face when she cut the ribbon, opened the box and had one of these slowly crawl up her arm....

Priceless!!
455.gif

When in doubt, buy her both.
smile.gif

I had no idea what a Mexican fire leg was--cute. It's furry and cuddly, right.

Gomez was on a hunger strike. Crickets had no appeal, so I gave him three wax worms, but no more. I hope that stimulates his appetite. He loved them!
smile.gif

Back