What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philadelphia Reptile Expo

Wow! I just fed him a cricket from my hand! He's so sweet.
biggrin.gif

Don't get him hooked on wax worms. That's all he'll want to eat. They are good for a treat but they are high in fat, and not good all the time. It's like you only eating candy bars.

Yes the fire legs are furry and cute.
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks for the advice about wax worms. I read that and that's why I only gave him three. Yesterday I fed him six crickets, gut loaded and dusted with Reptical. This is more work that I bargained for but worth it.

You can keep the fire legs. You can't convince me they don't have nasty bites.

Two cool feeders I'm trying out are Phoenix worms and lobster roaches. The former are small grubs, never more than about 1/2" long, but they're packed with calcium. The latter apparently are easy to breed, the same size as crickets, don't fly or jump, don't make noise, and don't reek like crickets do. I'll also give both a shot in my plants, see if they make a difference.

Mokele

Thanks for the feeding advice. I read about Phoenix worms, but not lobster roaches. Would you have to dust those feeders? I really don't want to overdo it with the calcium, or I guess I should say, the D3.

I wish I had a pic to share with you. He is cute. He did lose and regrow his tail before I bought him. It's sooth and not bumpy like pics I've seen, but it is quite fat.

Joe,
If you are worried about too much D3 from ReptiCal, get Jurassi Cal. It is just calcium and no other ingredients. I also have a bowl with just the Jurassi Cal in the cage and the lizards will lick it up when they need it.
If you look back at page 1 where I have my tank photo posted, the front left hand corner is the bowl that has the Jurassi Cal in it.
I use Reptical usually once a week.

Do you at least once a week dust food with ReptoLife, which is a multi-vitamin powder?

Talking of other food items, I have thought about trying to raise Silk Worms. I just need some Mulberry trees and I'll be alright.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Sep. 09 2006,3:58)]Do you at least once a week dust food with ReptoLife, which is a multi-vitamin powder?

Talking of other food items, I have thought about trying to raise Silk Worms. I just need some Mulberry trees and I'll be alright.
I saw a product called reptivite by Zoomed, multiple vitamins and minerals, but didn't get it yet. Here's a link for it:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx

Should I buy some?  Much cheaper at the local pet store than the internet.  I did not see reptolife.  Isn't feeding crickets with the gutload formula going to accomplish the same thing?  

Raising silkworms sounds good, but I don't see mulberry trees around often anymore.  They used to be plentiful.

Joe,
Here's the link for the Reptolife:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx

I gut load my food as well, but still use the vitamins.

The Silkworms have a powder mix that they can eat.
I have a source for some small Mulberry trees. I may have to get 3 or 4 from them.

Thanks for the source Steve. That stuff is less expensive than the Reptivite and seems to have better stuff. Good luck with the silkworms. I'll be looking for superworms and other things to give some variety. I'm not sure if my pet store has Phoenix worms, silkworms etc.

That looks interesting Steve, but I'm sticking with crikets, mealworms and the occaisional waxworm treat for now. I haven't fed him mealworms yet, but plan on buying them--quantities of 50, gut loading for a day or two, then refrigerating them. He's been eating 5-7 crickets/day. He shed about a week ago when I brought him home.

I have ceramic tile in the tank now with two hide rocks like the ones you have--one on the warm end and one on the cool end. I don't have anything under these rocks right now, but plan on putting damp paper towels under them and changing them frequently during the shedding process.

He seems very happy overall, is eating well (though sometimes ineptly!) and is really good about being handled (only about 5 minutes/day).

Back