Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exotic Mantids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mantis Kindom

I don't know when the mantis will be in stock (towards spring I would assume?) either way they have some of the AWESOME crazy variates like the orchid mantis's!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool! For some reason i've never really had luck with mantids before , they always seemed to just randomly die. I think that the reason was because of some sort of parasetic wasp larvae or something like that, because there is always a grub on the bottom of the container.

Around my house, we have stick mantids, bark colored mantids, and some green mantids. nothing much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like all mantids are like native to other country's dude, mantids are native to Asian country's I think!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright some mantid recognition!!! I love mantids!!! I breed I.Oratoria, which are very common where I live. I have 2 egg sacs (oothecas) in incubation right now and eagerly waiting for them to hatch. I havenít moved on to exotic species, but I am looking into it.

If you think Orchids are cool, you should check out Idolomantis Diabolica. These things are SOOOO COOL! They are the coolest animals I have ever seen. I have read that they are some of the toughest to breed and care for. Do a quick google search on them; they are 100% delicious eye candy.

Oh nice avatar change nepenthes_ak!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 13 2006,7:55)]like all mantids are like native to other country's dude, mantids are native to Asian country's I think!
    plenty of Mantid species are native to the US. heck ive got one species up here in the frozen north. gets about 1.5 inches long at most and i usually find them on the sand and gravel patches along side creeks hunting various flies
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh? I guess I should have not posted that like my original thoughts were not to. OH well. I think I would try a common mantid again before I moved onto something Hard.

http://www.insectstore.com/gallery....5~0.JPG

This species?

Either way I really want to try Matnids but I need a bigger enclosure for them, and I need some feeder insects... like roaches and meal worms and fruit flys... these would go great for the ants too so I don't know it all depends on where I am after a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 14 2006,9:45)]
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 13 2006,7:55)]like all mantids are like native to other country's dude, mantids are native to Asian country's I think!
    plenty of Mantid species are native to the US. heck ive got one species up here in the frozen north. gets about 1.5 inches long at most and i usually find them on the sand and gravel patches along side creeks hunting various flies
    Yeah, youíre right. Many can be found in the US, but several of these species (like mine) were introduced back in the late 1800's as a natural pest control and have quite successfully taken over.

Quote[/b] ]I think I would try a common mantid again before I moved onto something Hard.
    The African Mantid (Sphodromantis) and Chinese Mantid (Tenodera aridifolia) are the best beginner mantids. But, you could also go with the Carolina Mantid or a Stagmomantis species. If you want to go big, go with the Giant Asian Mantid (Hierodula Membranacea). All these are easy to care for.

Remember, when going into a new hobby, it's always important to read as much info as possible. So do your homework before getting one of these marvelous creatures.

EDIT: I have to share this picture with you: Idolomantis Diabolica, The King of all mantids!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I allways do my research!!!

I did when I got into ants as well!! What do you suggest to keep them in? What about plants Do they prefer live plants? Do you know any god sites or something? PM me or w/e!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast