Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ant farm ideas??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ant not true, i have had a 5/7 percentage rating with queens that had wings two of them weren't mated, the other five? they were! I had collected 4 Tetramorium queens and 3 of them didn't have their wings on, the other 1 did, they all started colonies. But you are right, its a sure fire way to tell if they are mated or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any species of ants not suitable for a slimmed style terrarium? I'm thinking about just buying acrylic and filling it up with sand/dirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely luck of the draw Nep. besides, how many of the fertile ones removed there wings? You just grad them when they just finished. The ones with out wings are your best bet, and ones away form the colony might have just finished mating, and then the once in awhile queen that can't get 1 or 2 wings off. Usually they do get them off so just go with the wingless queens. I just say general things to use as a rule, and didn't the wings rot in the tube? If so then just catch the wingless queens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it really is better to start youre ants out in test tubes

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...s/abe6bc1e.jpg

Until you have a good established colony (about 100 or so ants), and its nice for observing, and you can quickly check on how your ants are doing. I tried doing that with a Camponotus colony and they died cause i couldn't tell how they were doing or if they were eating.

Wings didn't rot, they moved them away from where they were, to the entrance of the test tube, and I simply removed them from the tubes I'm just saying their still is a chance to get a fertile queen if she has wings.

One way to attract queens is lay a piece of wood or a larger brick some place in the yard near under a tree, and you might be able to find queens removing their wing, or starting a colony their.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slim farms can house ants but, usually I would make one because it can be out grown and wasting your money on that might not be the best idea. Also you might not be able to get the greatest look at them. Nep.'s farms make an easy to see home for them and you can easly see how they are doing like in the testtube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see some shots taken from inside the ant farm, not as easy to get with a Sandwich style ant farm, (What you called "slimed")

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107115

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in the test tube setup, Its one ant per tube?? Thats gonna mean alot of tubes. Nepenthes, those farms you made, are they made using plaster? Because i've read on alot of places that it really isnt the best thing to use. Have you built any of entire wood?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all comes down to preference, For test tubes no its not one ant, thats a queen in the test tube. (Formica Sp's) the ants will fill up the test tube as needed. Plaster is good to use i have had no problems with it. A little mold in the foraging area, but you cant escape mold. Wood set ups will have the same problem. I am working on one using balsa wood, and glass, its an experiemnt for small species with small colony numbers, but can be used for small species with large numbers (Pheidole for example)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast