What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Ant

I was looking in my terrarium and i saw the strangest ant. It had long antenna with a yellow dot at the middle of them, and had yellow at the knees. Doe's anyone have any clue as to what kind of ant it is I'm almost positive it's not native to N.J. I'll try to get a pic soon.

Not an ant, Unless it had a definitive L shaped antenna, probably a solitary wasp or something like that

There are also alot of ant mimics that do really look like ants. I agree with nep. ak.

It was a ant mimicking bug, this guy. I still have no idea how it got here as it says it's from Nevada and California, unless there is another species that looks exactly alike.

There are alot of them. Even some spiders!:-))

Yea Tweco, their are QUITE a few ant mimicking bugs. Not sure how this benefits them, but they seem to get along fine.

Well, I'd want to be friends with the ants too, if I were that small. I mean, they're like the superpower of all bugs. It'd be like being allies with the Americans but the Americans don't even know that you're not one of them.

What you want to be is a Lomechusa strumosa, the adults actually blend in by appeasing and mooching... Ant mimics generally don't have ANY thing to do with ants, that I know of.

OR maybe a Atemeles pubicollis? or a Dinarda dentata? or Maybe Pella funesta?

the species of symbioses with ants are limitless, and thats just the ones we know of!

Yeah, I thought that ant and bee mimics were usually easily detectable by the real things because hive-dwelling insects identify each other through scent. I've seen a hive of bees do some really horrific things to a robber fly that went a little too far into their nest. Those beetles that chill out in army ant swarms, though... it'd be cool to be one of those guys. That's the VIP pass - thousands of bodyguards and all the carrion the colony can find.
~Joe

Back