Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praying Mantis ooth problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's juicy inside, then it means that it's viable and that the nymphs are still undergoing development. How did you cut it? Please don’t say that you cut it in half… it’s difficult to tell from the picture. If you just cut off a slice from the side, then you won’t have major problems, just place it back in your container, give it heat, and wait.

When I told you online that it may not hatch, I was basing it on the first picture alone (it seemed like it had the indentations an ooth gets after hatching). Now that you sliced it you have more concrete evidence that it will hatch. Oh, and keeping a small amount of nymphs is not a good idea. Most of them die for no reason at all, so having lots of them (especially when their past their first instar) gives you a better chance of raising some into adulthood. Be prepared to have some fruit flies ready for when they hatch.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ooth was cut 1/4 from the top and there were only like 4 that were juicy...which were cut and bleeding, the rest was dried and brown.
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister bought one of those from Armstrongs several years ago. It hatched - zillions of little nymphs. She put some of them in a big cookie container and the rest into her plants. We didn't really have anything to feed them so they started feeding on each other. The outside ones were doing okay until my father watered the plants with a garden hose and we never saw another one after that.

If it had hatched in the store there would be bits of eaten nymphs in the container it came in.

You should have left it alone and just waited the maximum amount of time before cutting it open.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well they told me they had it for about 3 weeks and they were about to sell it back. OK I opened the rest it was just all brown and crispy. I only see 4 nymphs that didnt make it out with the others.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, if you hadn't cut it open you might have been able to take it back for a fresher one. It's neat cutting open stuff like that though. Any more pics?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um sorry no pictures I scrambled it all up because I was curious to see every nook and cranny terribly sorry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12