What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my tank o.k. for frogs?

I recently decided to make a carnivorous plant terrarium . I pulled out my old Chinese water dragon tank out, which when lizard died I just kind of threw in the corner. My lizard had been in bad shape for a while and had some health issues. so the first thing I did was begin washing it. I rinced it, filled it with water and put about a half gallon of bleach in it. lol I then scraped the tank with a razer blade to remove the water spots. My questiun is, is this going to be enough to get rid if the possible diseases that may have been in the tank from my lizard? I would like to put some frogs in the terrarium. I dont want to have to throw this tank away. It is a 30 gallon with a partially screened top. I dont want the frogs to get sick from anything that was in the tank. so what do you think?

Dude bleach will kill ebola. I'm pretty sure it took care of whatever could've been lingering in the tank.

To tell you the truth, most virus/bacteria can't survive for very long at all outside of host. Even AIDS dies in 24hrs.

Not all pathogens are viral, they can be bacterial, fungal or microbial. And some bacteria are dang near bomb proof (I ought to know I work with one of them :) )

That said, by and large the bleach treatment is the standard for most herpers and it should get rid of just about anything. My personal preferance is to let the tank sit with bleach solution in it for at least 24 hours as that should get even some of the really tough bugs. Big thing to do is make sure to rinse it really well and let it sit empty for a bit to allow the residual bleach to evaporate out.

well I didn't think to let it sit for 24 hours. I let it sit for an hour. should I repeat this process but let it soak longer? I hate to do it again cause it took me a while to get it as clean as I wanted it.

Like I said, the 24 hour thing is just my personal preference. THe major frog keeper I know here only does a swab down and then rinses so you should be fine.

I do several water changes myself, too, just to be extra paranoid-er, I mean careful.
However, I have never used near as much as a half gallon.

Cheers,

Joe

Back