Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential New Snake Owner

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so just make sure whatever i get is captive bred (that's what CB stands for, right?)...im thinking a ball python, rosy boa, or hog nosed...but im not runling out a corn snake either...thanks for all the help!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, good point on the corn.
    I am kind of an oddball with snakes. I go to the local Reptile Expo, and there are so many designer snakes. Last time with tangerine phase Honduran milksnakes, I saw so many hypo this, het that, anerythristic, ect. I asked if they had any normal tangerine phase, and they looked at me like I was a moron.
    Corns? I like Okeetee best, but so many designer snakes.
    If you are looking for a pet, it's a great place to go. I have seen a few mature snakes cheap($40 for a 3.5 ft , thick ball python) that did not work for the vendor's breeding project, so they sell them for very reasonable prices.
    Also, you are going to get CB ball pythons there, not WC(wild caught).
    Here is another example of designer matery. They have crossbred a milksnake enough to produce...a ringneck snake, lol.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=59&de=521287

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to agree with both JLAP and Rattler.

I have had a "normal" albino corn for 16 years (and he was only a couple months old when I first got him and I never had issues with him, FWIW.) BUt they can be mental. My corn is probably the most aggressive one I have seen but I attribute that more to the fact that I have always feed him in cage and so now he thinks that whenever the tank is opened it is food time. Once he is in hand he is very mellow.

And for years I was always interested in getting a ball but just never got around to it till a couple weeks ago. As Griffin said, get one at an expo and it'll be CB. I got mine at one here for only $10!! They are super mellow and easy to handle.

My major advice would be to shoot for something that takes frozen/thawed (f/t) mice. It is always for the better to be able to feed prekilled as live animals have serious potential to hurt your snake.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to that, the ones at the Expos are more apt to be feeding on thawed rodents, and many of the vendors can tell you if certain snakes have been.

Cheers,

Joe

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my snakes are feed frozen food. I wouldn't think of feeding them anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to go with a corn snake. I have had several different kinds of snakes and so far they have been my favorite( dont tell my ball python right now haha) My corn right now is 5 years old, I have had him since he was a young one, and he was about 8 inches long. He is now pushing 2 foot and he has never bitten me ever. Ive even let little kids touch him at the pet store with now concerns. The same goes with all of my other corn snakes Ive had. In my opinon they are the best beginer and all around snake.

PS. where can you get a western hognose? Ive been looking for one and cant find anyone in the US that sells them. Any Ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarraceniashawn View Post
    PS. where can you get a western hognose? Ive been looking for one and cant find anyone in the US that sells them. Any Ideas?
    Plugged in hognose over at Kingsnake.com & found a few.

It wouldn't let me link to the search results - enter hognose in classified search box - I got 81 when I tried.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they all look so cool!

thanks for all the advice guys-i still haven't convinced everyone yet...

Thank you, really!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast