User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My greatest reptile discovery to date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah they do glider.
    atleast with my experiances with them.
    but they are oddly cute when young.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy,

Very neat find. I'm proud of you for releasing the hognose. Cool how you gave the location.

Question: Was the posterior part of the belly darker than the undersurface of the tale?If so its probably the eastern hognose snake.
    It looks like Heterodon platyrhinos to me because it I did not see any dorsal dark blotches.

There are two species of hognose snakes that live in coastal regions of NC.
    The eastern hognose snake (Heterodon platyrhinos) and the southern hognose snake (Heterodon simus). I do a good bit of research on threatened and endangered species with my job. The southern hognose snake either was or still is listed as "special concern" by both state and federal agencies. You probably already know this means it is not considered threatened or endangered yet but may be in the future if deemed necessary. If it was the southern sp. it was an even rarer find that that of the eastern. Either way neat find. I've lived in NC all my life and never seen one.

In the spring/summer I'm trying to get some folks together to do some hiking around the Sandhills or the Green Swamp for some observing and photography. I have not been in years. If you are interested let me know.

Victor

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know about the two species. I think that the southern has been placed on the endangered list, for NC anyway. I tried to get info from the state but they act like they don't know the laws themselves. I saw the permit to keep endangered species that cape fear serpentarium has that they were listed.

If you look at this pic you can see the bottom of the tail is different and lighter the the rest of the belly, that makes it an eastern. It was more obvious in person than in the pic.

I used this snake in documentary that was shot about this area. You can see some of the footage here.
    http://www.hdvisions.co.uk/

Look for where it says See Neils work here.

Where are you located? I live about 10 miles form the Green Swamp. I'd love to join you out there sometime.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy,

Have you come across any pygmy rattlers or other vipers down there? Photos? What about northern pine snakes (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus )? I saw a beautiful king snake last time I was that way.

The only vipers I've come across other than a copperhead here and there was a timber rattlesnake way over in heath balds of the Transylvania county mountains.

Victor

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are pygmys here. I have people tell me that they have seen them, but I have not personally seen one. I've seen two timber rattlesnakes, both dead. I have pics of one.I've seen countless copperheads and cottonmouths. I think a friend of mine found a pine snake, he described it and I think that is what he saw. I've seen about 5 king snakes, all dead.

I have pics of most of my finds, you're welcome to see them if you want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123