What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As promised, my second new snake

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Morelia viridis. Called "Chondros" by hobbiests.

She is a beauty isn't she??

P9120015.jpg

P9120016.jpg

P9120017.jpg

P9120018.jpg

P9120019.jpg

Doing what Chondros do best

P9120020.jpg

Hey, I have proper respect for beautiful lizards and as soon as knob-tails drop in price or moloch become available then I'll get back into them. Until then it is snakes and frogs for me :p

She is beautiful. I think that green snakes are the prettiest. Does she reside in the same tank as the other one or is that a "no-no" in the snake world? She's long!

xvart.

Hey X,

Definitly seperate tanks. Most herpers tend to keep animals seperate as territoriality is an issue. But the main reason for mine being seperate is the totally different environs. Chondros are tropical tree dwellers and alternas are desert snakes.

She is long though I was not as aware of that till I had to transfer her over from the critter carrier to the tank. When they are ballled they do not appear to be that long. But she shure did stretch. I would guess she is at least 4' maybe a touch longer

I love her! These are my favorite snakes.

Pyro,
You know I'm just messing with you. LOL
I would have some snake if I had the room. Every time I go to reptile shows I see some I would purchase, along with Dart frogs, scorpions, and other lizards. LOL
I do not think I'll ever have scorpions. I've mentioned a few time and every time the wife gives me a very stern NO.

I know you are messing with me Gecko, just massing back (though I am serious about those lizards...)

Snakes don't take that much room really. Little miss here is in a 37 tall and my others are in a 30 and a 20 long. All have only a 30" x 12" footprint.

I know what you mean about shows. I went to my first one this year and if I had the funds I would have come home with so many critters...

Cool man, this is the one snake I've always liked. How big can they get?
Are they as dangerous/bity as their reticulated cousins?

One of my top snakes to be sure. I really lucked into her and am glad I did.

These guys tend to top out at around 2m but larger specimines have been had from time to time.

Chondros do have a reputation for being snappy but they are nowhere near retics. And part of it comes from misunderstanding the nature of the animal. Chondros are almost exclusively nocturnal. As such, when someone sticke their hand into the cage during the day it "scares" the snake awake and the first instinct then is to snap in defense. Likewise, if you try to go in at night when they are in hunt mode then you get hit because you are mistaken for prey. When you take these factors into account you can usually work around them. Both my wife and I handled her yesterday and she was very gentle and curious. No aggressive behaviour at all.

Thanks for that info!
You have a nice arboreal setup in there, just like I'd want to do if I scored one of those. Would it be possible to also keep larger tropical plants in with that snake (like exotic climbing philos, epiphyte ferns, etc) or is the snake too rambunctuous and would uproot/flatten everything?

Hey Swords,

Thanks, glad you like it.

I like to have pretty realistic setups for my animals if I can allow for it. My tank is pretty heavily planted. I'll take a couple pics over the weekend and post Monday for you

loose any blood yet?

Nope :p Though she did take a strike at my wife last night while she was being held and one at me when I tried to feed her the pinky that the alterna would not take (note, do not try feeding a Chondro a pinky by dangling it from your fingers. VERY bad idea!!)

you didnt realize that? heck you can get bit by some pretty inoffensive snakes doing that trust me i know :grin: wouldnt attempt it with a tree boa/python......their teeth are just to dang big :grin: dang.............and im the one one drugs....................... :grin:

Oh, no I realized that and I have taken to forcep feeding everything but the alterna was in a weird place that required I try dangling the pink with my fingers so I did not bother breaking out the forceps. And then since I was lazy I decided I could just hand feed the Chondro. After all I hand fed my corn for 16 years and while his strike was fast it was not that fast. I learned Chondros are a lot faster. A LOT!! At least I did not get any tooth, she may only be 4' but I am sure it would be a screamer of a bite.

dude they are built to catch BIRDS :grin: tried to hand feed a 4ft ball python once.......found out their teeth are fairly small.......only lost a lil bit of blood :grin: get yourself a blood python........i had one try like heck for over a year to tag me and never lost a drop of blood to it.....they are pretty slow :grin:

Hey Swords

So here is a shot of the tank. Funny that the pic seems sparse but when ever I go into the tank it seems I am always moving something leafy out of my way.

P9140001.jpg

VERY nice setup and snake!

you are very lucky! ;)

Back