What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giants!

I'm a mantis keeper and i just started and i have around 15 Giant asian L2's which means they have molted once. These guys will get to be about 5 inches and can eat 10" snakes if given the chance. There is DOCUMENTAION of them catching humming birds, snakes, mice and other small verterbrates. I really want on orchid mantis http://www.natureartists.com/art/creative_process/resized/1230_6_Ophelia.jpg and a gambian boxer mantis http://ttwebbase.dyndns.org/images/db/3491.jpg

Any questions on these incredible predators let me know!

Ah! i love boxers! they look so tough...but they are so tiny! haha! are you a member of mantidforum.com ? theres a lot of great info and pictures on there! there are also frequent trade offerings.

my favorites have got to be the violin mantis and Idolomantis diabolica(does it have a common nanme? devils flower mantid?)

Alex

Hi. I recognize you from MantiForum. :)

Ah! i love boxers! they look so tough...but they are so tiny! haha! are you a member of mantidforum.com ? theres a lot of great info and pictures on there! there are also frequent trade offerings.

my favorites have got to be the violin mantis and Idolomantis diabolica(does it have a common nanme? devils flower mantid?)

Alex

Yes to both your questions.

anybody interested in mantids at all?

anybody interested in mantids at all?
Sure! I just don't know much about them. Though mine just shed his/her skin yesterday and has a nice set of wings now. I let my daughter hold it while I cleaned out the gallon jar I keep it in. We (my daughter and I) think they (she has one also) are the common Asian or Chinese mantid. I'll try to get some pics and post them tomorrow.

what are the kind of matids we have set-up in our trade BAdam?

mantids are sooo cool! they are like aliens+plants! my dream come true! :p

Here's Dart in all his/her glory.

mantis1.jpg

mantis2.jpg

mantis3.jpg

I like the way the shadow of her claw looks like the silouette of Audrey2 in this one.
mantis4.jpg

Just a garden variety mantis, but I think they are pretty cool any how :rookwoot:

what are the kind of matids we have set-up in our trade BAdam?

mantids are sooo cool! they are like aliens+plants! my dream come true! :p

There are about 200 species in trade. They are incredibly beautiful! :-D

I would love to keep Mantids, but dont have time space or money! Im going to college soon any ways, so after that (and once i get some cash flowing) I will definetaly get on the mantid train, right after I get on the CP train agian.

That is a beautiful adult male chinese mantis! Just so you know the habitat should be at least 2 or 3 times taller than the mantis is long. Feed him lots of crix and g. hoppers.

Here's Dart in all his/her glory.

mantis1.jpg

mantis2.jpg

mantis3.jpg

I like the way the shadow of her claw looks like the silouette of Audrey2 in this one.
mantis4.jpg

Just a garden variety mantis, but I think they are pretty cool any how :rookwoot:

I keep him in a 1 gallon jar with several sticks to climb on and a bit of nylon stocking over the top and some lightly moistened shredded LFS in the bottom. Thanks for the ID, too! :bigthumpup:

He used to like fruitflies, and as I had a surplus of them he got quite a few. Now that he's bigger he ignores them most of the time. To much effort to catch them and not enough meat on them to make it worthwhile I suspect.

I keep him in a 1 gallon jar with several sticks to climb on and a bit of nylon stocking over the top and some lightly moistened shredded LFS in the bottom. Thanks for the ID, too! :bigthumpup:

He used to like fruitflies, and as I had a surplus of them he got quite a few. Now that he's bigger he ignores them most of the time. To much effort to catch them and not enough meat on them to make it worthwhile I suspect.

Hey, no problem! You can ID a chinese by the green running along the wings. And wings means its an adult. The FF arent interesting to him...mere pests really. Not sure what LFS is, but spray some kind of substrate (which is what that is I'm sure :) )every other day and he WILL fly if given the chance!! :) That is a beautiful mantis as i said before! It will also take larger prey like large spiders (wouldnt reccommend it), anything that moves including HUMMINGBIRDS!! :0o:

Back