Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Praying Mantis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Praying Mantis

Hi,
    I found a praying mantis in my back yard and have her in a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium. I put in a grass hopper about eight flys a couple spiders and a beetle. But she won't eat she is all green and i pretty sure she is a Chinese kind. I would like to mabe get a couple more as pets, learn how to make wing/wingless fruit fly cultures, raise crickets etc. Egg cases would be fine to.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by Firerock View Post
    Hi,
    I found a praying mantis in my back yard and have her in a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium. I put in a grass hopper about eight flys a couple spiders and a beetle. But she won't eat she is all green and i pretty sure she is a Chinese kind. I would like to mabe get a couple more as pets, learn how to make wing/wingless fruit fly cultures, raise crickets etc. Egg cases would be fine to.

Regards
    Hi. Most wild, native-temperate US mantids should be near the end of their lives at point in the season, so don’t be surprised if she suddenly dies. Since you collected her from the wild, then it is highly likely that she has already mated, meaning that if she produces any ooths (egg cases), they will be fertile.

If you need to read up on the basics, I highly recommend mantidforum.net. Use the search feature and you can find all the info you need there. In addition, you may want to check out the classified section as breeders sell mantids as well as ooths.

Good luck! The Chinese Mantid is one of the best starter species…
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Hi. Most wild, native-temperate US mantids should be near the end of their lives at point in the season, so don’t be surprised if she suddenly dies. Since you collected her from the wild, then it is highly likely that she has already mated, meaning that if she produces any ooths (egg cases), they will be fertile.

If you need to read up on the basics, I highly recommend mantidforum.net. Use the search feature and you can find all the info you need there. In addition, you may want to check out the classified section as breeders sell mantids as well as ooths.

Good luck! The Chinese Mantid is one of the best starter species…
    ARGH! beat me to it! Also the book is good too...cant remember the name... "aliens: a guide to preying mantis" Something like that. Real cheap. Great info and beautiful pics! And i dont even own the book!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile