Thread: US govmnt wants to make snakes illegal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US govmnt wants to make snakes illegal

Just found out about this:

http://www.carpetpythons.net/forums/...read.php?t=243

I would encourage all concerned herp keepers here (whether you have a python or boa or not) to submit a comment to USF&W expressing your negative opinion on it. This is nothing more than over reaction to the actions of a few irresponsible people in FL who have either let snakes go or had them escape. If this passes it will be the first step to limiting all herps as pets.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's make dogs and cats and rodents illegal too, since they inevitably get away.

Silly silly silly. I don't keep herps but I support ya. I sent in my comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's dumb. I'll comment since I'm a reptile fan myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will comment, for certain. This post is bit misleading, though. It sounds like they want to make all snakes illegal, but this is restricting the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons . That hardly the same as banning all snakes.

If this passes it will be the first step to limiting all herps as pets.
    I highly doubt that. That is a slippery slope fallacy. Its like when we said that we had to win at Vietnam at all costs or else all of southeast Asia will fall to communism. These are one of the few herps considered a public health threat by many, wrongly or not. I don't think corn snakes will be next, in a domino effect all the way to the humble anole.

Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs.
    I don't breed reptiles, but I wanna ask: what is this quote based on, where do they get their facts. Wouldn't this limit competition from out of state breeders?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the government is trying to place all snakes in the genera Python, Boa and Eunectes as injerous wildlife..........that means it will be illegal to transport these animals across state lines........that means it will be illegal to buy a ball python from out of the state you live in....or a boa constrictor..........this will kill a large part of the herp industry........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I am being a bit dramatic however if you want to point out fallacies then let us look at what the government is doing.

The actions and disposition of 1-2 species (mostly the Burmese but I include the reticulated as they can be nasty) in a fairly limited area (the Everglades) are, according to F&W, enough to justify that all species of Python and Boa ought to be placed on their list. The vast majority of pet pythons and boas would perish in the winters in this country anywhere other than in the Everglades. Yet they think it justifiable to make all import and all cross stat transport of all species illegal. Give me one good reason that makes any sense. Please?

These are one of the few herps considered a health threat by many, wrongly or not.
    No, 1-2 species of these 2 genera are considered a threat. My 4' GTP is about as much a health threat as a 4' corn snake. Ditto my ball python and carpet python, both 2'. This is a blatant panic reaction of the dumbest kind. Knee-jerk stupidity.

All it does is punish responsible snake owners and breeders for the actions of a few idiots. How about we make the sale/transport of dogs and cats over state lines illegal because god knows enough of them are feral and are responsible for destroying local wildlife. Or how about pet rats? Rats ravage areas. Or better yet pig. I am sure the pig farmers would love that.

Snake keepers and breeders would be thrashed if this were to happen and make no mistake that it would be a stepping stone for people determined to see the elimination of exotics. They are out there and pushing hard.

Oh, and for the record there are already a number of states where corn snakes are illegal. I know because I live in one of them.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Ninja post- I gotta read what pyro said
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually Finch......look at it this way. the government is trying to throw sanctions on a group of animals that in all reality will have minimal inpact on the ecology of the US........however the same government makes it illegal to shoot feral horses that are causing lasting damage to the enviroment in the desert southwest........the biggest threat to the plants and animals in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico out side of man is feral horses and it is illegal to kill them. feral pigs are destroying untold amounts of wildlife habitat and are spreading like a plague yet the feds allow some states to make it illegal to kill these animals........the feds are banning the importation and interstate transportation of 3 whole genera due to to some idiots releasing 2 species in a fairly localized area and yet they allow the whole sale distruction of an ecosystem by protecting another..............makes alot of freaking sence to me
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast