What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake eats dog

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
It's kinda cool (or just plain weird) that they got a photo of it happening.
13surprise.gif

so sad for the dog and family , well it nature :-(

I just read about that yesterday. It's kind of disturbing loosing a family pet to a wild predator. I've heard stories of pets being killed by coyotes and raptors. Someone once told me they knew of a couple living together. The guy kept large snakes as pets and his girlfriend bred Chihuahuas. Similar story, but the snake didn't have to stalk for days.:-(

Horrible... especially for the children. I have a small dog and I keep it inside whenever I'm out just because I am afraid of predatory birds snatching it up.

I'm sad, mostly because my fiancee saw it. All those months of trying to justify buying a pet scrub python, gone.

Mokele

Mokele,

You can get yourself one of the dwarf forms. Or a nice carpet python, they stay small(er)

yah know if it was my dog....................i would be looking for a cage to keep the damn thing in because it just chowed my $600 dog...........damn sure aint going to let a snake that ate my damn dog get away......i would have a new pet :grin:

Mokele.....my wifes rule isnt that i cant keep anything that cant eat the dog.....ive just got to be able to handle it myself in relative safety.........cause she says she aint strong enough to save my arse........granted this is the same woman that wants me to get some tree vipers cause.....and i quote......."They look pretty".......even though Montana recently made it illegal for private keepers to have them, she says its a stupid law and i should get them anyway...............i love my wife :grin:

Rattler brings up another good point. Most normal snake keepers are going to have the where with all to keep dogs and snakes separate. For example, I currently allow my wife's chihuahua to have encounters with the ball python and carpet python. Which is fine because both are under 60cm right now. But once the ball hits 1m and the carpet gets to about 1.5m the chihuahua will be in another room when they are out of cage.

First thing. It's sad that the kids and the family had to see that. It had to be horrible for them to watch.

Second is it was their responsibility to know about the natural predators in their area and keep their dog safe. They saw the snake stalking the dog for a week. They should have kept their dog inside until the snake was gone, or had somebody remove the snake.

It's funny that when a snake eats a dog, it's headlines around the world, but think about how many dogs that kills snakes and you never hear anything about it.

You can get yourself one of the dwarf forms. Or a nice carpet python, they stay small(er)

Well, part of what I want it for is the size - size makes movement more biomechanically challenging, and I want to rub the size of these snakes in the nose of the primatologists who go on about how apes are the biggest things in trees.

Mokele.....my wifes rule isnt that i cant keep anything that cant eat the dog.....ive just got to be able to handle it myself in relative safety.........cause she says she aint strong enough to save my arse........

Well, my fiancee is fine with just about everything, but gets leery of anything hot or truly huge snakes. Ironically, she's fine with even the largest lizards - she's more accustomed to their body language so feels safer handling them.

Most normal snake keepers are going to have the where with all to keep dogs and snakes separate.

Yep; my rule is always "if it can cause injuries, the cage has a lock on it".

Mokele

I once read about a...boa i think... eating a small boy. It was a horrible story... The father screaming looking for his pistol but helpless as to know what to do to save his boy....

I doubt it was a boa, they don't get large enough. Probably a Burmese python. Heard rumors of that as well but nothing verified.

That story made my day. That was really funny. I love when nature gives people a reality check.

the major problem with a snake, even a large one, eating a person is our shoulders.....hard for a snake that has no arms to position our body so it can get its jaws past our shoulders......not impossible but highly unlikely......course at that point its sorta acedemic weither the snake just kills you or kills you and eats you. any constrictor over about 5 foot can kill a person. the bullsnakes up here are powerful enough that if they wrapped around my neck they could cut off the blood supply to my brain should they get startled and decide to squeeze. any of the larger boas or pythons can defiantly kill a person. but i find it unlikely very many ppl actually get eaten by then other than maybe young children. i just cant see any of them eating anyone very big due to how our shoulders are built.........

Reminds me of the Albino Clarias' walking across lawns in Florida, eating small dogs and babies.

Back