Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: terrarium animals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had green anoles when I was younger in a 10 gallon tank. Some of them were very hand tame. They sell them at our pet stores here. They also change colors from green to brown. I would think they would like the environment you describe. Mine actually laid an egg that hatched.

I also had leopard geckos. I think the anoles are easier and more entertaining in this case for the girls. I believe anoles live 3-5 years and leopard geckos about 15 years or more. 3-5 years is plenty for me.

By spiders, do you mean taranchulas? I have one and wouldn't recommend them. I gave one to my son's friend who unfortunately got some of the spider's hairs (microscopic ones) in his eye which are not removable. He's on steroid drops now.

Looked into dart frogs recently, but didn't like the fruitfly thing. Ended up with a tree boa for my son.

A male and female anole. As a girl I liked those.

J

The kids also had hermit crabs which they lost interest in quickly.
    Last edited by jfoley; 04-01-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah anoles might work
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well animals defecate and urinate and in a terrarium it can build up in the soil etc and cause problems,I am guessing spiders would do good in there they would make a tasty snack for your cp's.
    a chameleon would be cool for a nepenthes setup.
    how about mosquito larvae some mosquitoes lay there larvae in certain species of nepenthes pitchers.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest a green anole. They dont mind higher humidty, in fact they need condensation on leaves to drink from. I belive lepard geckos need lower humidity but Ive never had one so I wouldnt know.

Shawn
    http://www.amphibianark.org/
    Donate or sign the petition to help save amphibians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With any animal in a 10 gallon tank you will have to clean it regularly, as you should with any kind of Terrarium that has animals in it. But with Dart frogs, a larger Vivarium would work better, lots of plants. Their are Dartfrog boards you should look into them. they are expensive though.

Stick with an anonle if you want something simple. Dart frog if you want something awesome to look at and take care of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley View Post
    By spiders, do you mean taranchulas? I have one and wouldn't recommend them. I gave one to my son's friend who unfortunately got some of the spider's hairs (microscopic ones) in his eye which are not removable. He's on steroid drops now.
    Ouch, How did that happen?!?

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When certain species of tarantulas get mad or defensive, they kick up toxic hairs that are very irritable to the skin and eyes. However, this alone does not make them bad pets. If you were intersted in a tarantula, then I would consider any in the genus avicularia (avicularia avicularia or avicularia versicolor.) They are one of the best begginer tarantulas.
    http://www.amphibianark.org/
    Donate or sign the petition to help save amphibians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a Chilean rose hair tarantula which actually has a nice disposition, or should I say "not aggressive" and was recommended as a starter tarantula. He wasn't kicking his hairs up. It was a fluke and it's not a common, but from handling him the sixteen year old transferred microscopic hairs that got on his hands to his eyes when he touched his face. It's actually pretty serious for his eyes as the hairs will work their way through the eye layers.

It's not that the tarantula was being bad, they have no such notion, it was from not knowing something like this could happen. I gave my 6 year old a rose hair also, we don't handle it and I will be finding it a new home because of this. Tarantulas are interesting to watch when you feed them, but they don't enjoy being handled, only tolerate it. Also, their lack a memory prevents them from becoming "tame".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast