What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead snapping turtle we found

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
We drove past this and stopped to see if it was hurt, but it was actually dead. Very sad.

DSC03839.jpg

DSC03840.jpg

I always liked seeing those things at the zoo they were big it's too bad that one died I wonder how it died and how far is it from some water? :-(

When I lived in Louisiana I had found a baby snaping turtle we'd always get red ears crawling in the backyard since I lived near a canal, but only found a snapper one time I picked the tiny guy up and released him near the water it tried to bite me a few times.

And you didn't keep it?

Just snag it, wrap it up in window screen mesh, and bury it near an ant hill for a few months. Then pull it up and you've got a complete snapper skeleton!

That is a nice sized one, its too bad that you found it dead. Of course I wouldn't want to tangle with one that size while it was still alive. Every spring/summer we have tons of baby snappers and red eared sliders around our cottage on the beach and in the yard.

No... I didn't have an interest in keeping it :)

I don't know why it died. It wasn't far from water at all. I'm terrible with eyeballing distance... maybe 100 feet? It was like... 10 feet from the road so I don't know how a car hit it.Unless it got hit by a small car and died on it's way back to the lake, although it was facing away from the lake. Weird. I feel bad for it. I like turtles. When I was REALLY little I remember watching the tiny, half-dollar sized snapping turtle in my mother's aquarium. Hers was cooler, though. It had ridges on it's shell like an alligator ST.

Is that an alligator snapping turtle? After a huge storm when I was a child, my father and I found one in the creek. Very impressive animal. It's a shame it died. I wonder where it was going? Was there a water source nearby?

xvart.

Normal snapping turtle. Alligators looks WAY cooler.

A lake was about 100 feat away.

wonder what it was doin...only looks a day or 2 passed...

Definitely not an alligator snapping turtle... When I was a kid, I remember seeing an alligator snapping turtle that bit a broom handle in half in one bite. Scary stuff... I used to go swimming where those things were all the time.

I've always thought softshell turtles were the coolest things ever. I love the way they look!

mommy mommy look what i've found SNAP!!! mommy where are my fingers :p
i love them!!

This time of year, many female turtles are killed crossing roads looking for places to lay their eggs. Another member of this board told me about a time he found a recently-killed box turtle along a road (major highway actually). He opened it up, found some eggs and proceeded to incubate them. IIRC, two of the eggs hatched.... :banana2:

Thats a sad sight to see. Thats a regular snapping turtle. I used to have an alligator snapping turtle that I raised from about an inch and a half in length. Cool little guy that grew up fast. It got to the point that it wouldnt bite =)

its seems like everyone had experiences with the alligators. when i was like 7 or 8 i found a baby alligator snapper(5 in long ??? nose to tail) and raised it. but i had to get rid of it when it at(or attacked whatever it did) my baby red slider turtle. i named it snappy :)

alligator snappers are WAY cooler!

Alex

Looks like a common snapping turtle (Chelydra Serpentina) Its a shame that it is dead. Really magnicent animals.

That is sad. I have found many dead snapping turtles on the road. I found one that was the largest I had ever seen.

It's always a treat to find them crossing the road alive. I found on a few weeks ago about 1/4 mile from my house. I grabbed it and brought it home to take some pics. Then took him back to the pond he was headed to when I found him.

They are not as aggressive as people think. I've only found one that was bad tempered. They mostly just hide in their shells until you let them go. I took a stick and tried to get the last one I found to bite the stick. It took me a couple of tries of putting it in his mouth to get him to bite. But once he did, he snapped the stick right in two.

I'll try to get the pics of him up pretty soon.

Back