What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I feed other than crickets?

Thanks Knuckles. The crickets smell, so that's why I thought if I keep worms they won't smell at all, or as bad, and then I can keep them in our room, instead of out in the sunroom where the crickets were.

a help for ant control: put a small nep or dew or sarr in their pathway and the will love the nectar and communicate it to the others etc..and you know how te nectars work...

That won't work on fire ants they are carnivorous.

Plus if it did work, wouldn't my plant die from too much food?

didnt see the fire ant part...and as to the dying part i dont thnk so because ants are pretty small compared to others..unless these are carpenter ants...

how about rice beetles

What you can do is use silkworms - I would have recommended sooner but someone beat me to it. They sell the food for silkworms called silkworm chow and it is relatively inexpensive to produce enough for raising silkworms to a decent size, plus silkworms hardly move around and dont make noise so you can keep them in the house and even as moths they do not fly. I would feed silk worms and hornworms which you can get the non toxic hornworm chow to keep them toxin free. you can feed both and occasionally use other feeder insects like mantids if you like, as 3 egg cases of mantis are only 10-20$ depending where you order from. I would also try getting just occasional crickets for feeding, and mealworms to supplement and you have a well rounded diet and happy firebellies. Try thoe and you can even sometimes find other feeder insects like earthworms and super worms which have more guts and chitin. the chitin leads to problems as it is similar to fingernail material and hard to digest for most reptiles and amphibians and even fish.

Back