Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I feed other than crickets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can I feed other than crickets?

Can I feed my Fire Bellied Toads something other than crickets? Crickets are not cheap and now that all of mine died because of the darn ants, I kinda don't want to do it again. I heard that mealworms are too tough for the frogs. My husbands coworker said he used wingless fruitflies, but aren't they too small and won't they get in between the rocks in the tank so the frogs can't get at them? Plus I don't want to keep fruitflies! Is there anything else? Thanks
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can feed them small roaches. I have some for trade in the trading forum.

You can get crickets pretty cheap if you know where to get them. You can get 1000 for 16.99 shipped from llreptile.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I saw your thread and thought about it (even though I don't have a breeding pair of Tokay Geckos) but I'm not sure I can handle the whole roach thing. I know there isn't much difference between them and crickets, but still. I had 250 crickets shipped to me for $15.00 (I know that's not as good of a deal as you mentioned), but then I had an ant problem and I have 30 left over and I only got them 6 days ago That's why I wasn't sure if I should do it again, because I can't afford to have them just die like that. But getting them at the pet store is a rip off. It's $1 per dozen and that's just wrong! I may try ordering crickets again, but I somehow have to keep the ants away. Thanks, 0zzy.
    Great Googly Moogly!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solve both problems at the same time. Feed the ants to your frogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're fire ants though. Wouldn't that be a problem? Plus, you're not supposed to feed your pets anything from outside because they could have been exposed to posion. About getting 1000 crickets, I can't get that many because I only have two frogs. The 1/2" crickets I get would only live for 3 weeks. I can't go through that many crickets in 3 weeks. A bunch would die. I guess I could use the adults as a breeding colony though. But again, I need a place to keep them away from ants. Would it work if I put the tupperware they're in, in another much larger tupperware? Maybe the ants wouldn't smell them then?
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its part of keeping small frogs....more work goes into the care of their food than into the frogs themselves.....if i can keep roaches in a container should be easy enough to keep ants out of one.....a 2 to 3 inch strip of petroleum jelly works great for stopping bugs from going where you dont want them
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried waxworms? They are like mealworms but softer, although I feed my firebellies crickets, waxworms and mealworms and have had no problems.
    http://www.amphibianark.org/
    Donate or sign the petition to help save amphibians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only issue with waxworms is they are high in fat and are a poor choice for regular feeding....though they work as an occasional treat.....or to help condition females for breeding or the like.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast