What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I feed other than crickets?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Can I feed my Fire Bellied Toads something other than crickets? Crickets are not cheap and now that all of mine died because of the darn ants, I kinda don't want to do it again. I heard that mealworms are too tough for the frogs. My husbands coworker said he used wingless fruitflies, but aren't they too small and won't they get in between the rocks in the tank so the frogs can't get at them? Plus I don't want to keep fruitflies! Is there anything else? Thanks :)

You can feed them small roaches. I have some for trade in the trading forum.

You can get crickets pretty cheap if you know where to get them. You can get 1000 for 16.99 shipped from llreptile.com.

Yeah I saw your thread and thought about it (even though I don't have a breeding pair of Tokay Geckos) but I'm not sure I can handle the whole roach thing. I know there isn't much difference between them and crickets, but still. I had 250 crickets shipped to me for $15.00 (I know that's not as good of a deal as you mentioned), but then I had an ant problem and I have 30 left over and I only got them 6 days ago :( That's why I wasn't sure if I should do it again, because I can't afford to have them just die like that. But getting them at the pet store is a rip off. It's $1 per dozen and that's just wrong! I may try ordering crickets again, but I somehow have to keep the ants away. Thanks, 0zzy.

Solve both problems at the same time. Feed the ants to your frogs.

They're fire ants though. Wouldn't that be a problem? Plus, you're not supposed to feed your pets anything from outside because they could have been exposed to posion. About getting 1000 crickets, I can't get that many because I only have two frogs. The 1/2" crickets I get would only live for 3 weeks. I can't go through that many crickets in 3 weeks. A bunch would die. I guess I could use the adults as a breeding colony though. But again, I need a place to keep them away from ants. Would it work if I put the tupperware they're in, in another much larger tupperware? Maybe the ants wouldn't smell them then?

its part of keeping small frogs....more work goes into the care of their food than into the frogs themselves.....if i can keep roaches in a container should be easy enough to keep ants out of one.....a 2 to 3 inch strip of petroleum jelly works great for stopping bugs from going where you dont want them

Have you tried waxworms? They are like mealworms but softer, although I feed my firebellies crickets, waxworms and mealworms and have had no problems.

only issue with waxworms is they are high in fat and are a poor choice for regular feeding....though they work as an occasional treat.....or to help condition females for breeding or the like.....

Darn, I was hoping someone would say waxworms would work. I don't want fat froggies. I'll try the petroleum jelly. Thanks!

So you're going to try roaches? Once you do you'll be hooked forever.

I still have some for trade. I'll trade a colony for two fire bellied toads.

No, Mark.

What about Phoenix worms?

Uh huh. So what exactly would I be feeding these roaches to if I had to give you my two frogs for them?

So, are Phoenix worms ok or are they the same as wax worms?

So what exactly would I be feeding these roaches to if I had to give you my two frogs for them?

What ever you want, they will be yours and I can't control what you feed them to.

Can I feed them to you? Seeing as you can't control it. Can you answer my Phoenix worm question?

No, I don't like the taste of roaches.

Sorry but I don't know enough about phoenix worms nor fire bellied toads. I'm sure Pyro will be where soon and he can answer that question.

Who says I know anything about phoenix worms?? Or Fire-bellies?? Never used the former or kept the latter.

I am all about the roaches now. If you are feeling really industrious you can try silkworms. But they take a lot to care for/raise...

Thanks Pyro. I'll look into the silkworms. My husband doesn't want roaches in the house (neither do I), he's already not happy about the crickets. I guess it's the other way around at my house, the guy doesn't want the bugs, I don't mind them.

If the ants were able to get to the crickets, they will more than likely be able to get to whatever else you decide to keep as food in a large quantity. Solve the ant problem and the rest wont matter. Follow the trail and hit them at the source. Until theyre gone, draw a thick chalk line around the sides of whatever it is you keep the crickets in and the ants will not cross. Or try the petrol jelly as suggested. These options will not stop the ants from coming and they will still be a bother unless you stop them.

Back