What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scorpion burrow collapsed

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I moved my deathstalker to another cage with a couple inchs of sand so it could burrow. I wetted the sand then let it dry like I've read to do but this morning I saw it had collapsed. So thinking my scorpion is dead I'm trying to move sand around to find then these clawa come out so it's alive. What should I do to prevent this? I know they like to burrow but I don't want my scorpion to die when I'm not around to help it out.

try using that clay sand that they sell for reptiles...they can dig in it but it stays stronger then calci sand.....

Not my realm of experience, really, but perhaps you could mix in some rougher particles to lend some more structure to the burrows? I'm thinking something light and larger than sand grains, like washed perlite or ceramic chips. Composite materials are usually more stable and durable than uniform ones, so maybe the same will be true in the case of dirts. It might pay to stop by the library or petstore and consult a copy of "Scorpions for Dummies" or the like - it seems to me as though you can't have been the first person to encounter this problem.
~Joe

The only problem with clay sand is you have to get it all wet first so it can set. Then you need to let it dry before you introduce your scorp. Desert scorpions and high humidity don't go together very well... at least not for very long. I would put the deathstalker in a cage with plenty of rock and bark hides, and then set up another cage with the clay sand. After the clay sand cage drys out put the scorpion in and let it do its thing.

You could make a burrow yourself. I do this for some of my tarantulas and my emporor scorpion. I take a few rocks or peices of wood and forum them into a burrow and then cover it with substrate. Just make sure the rocks or wood are secure so they dont fall.

How abot eco earth? When it dries it compacts so the tunnels won't fall and isn't heavy like sand.

Only problem with that is that D.S are from the dryer parts of africa and eco earth retains too much moisture. It works well for more tropical species though.

I agree with Sarraceniashawn's idea of making your own burrow. I used to use terra cotta pots, broken in half length-wise. for my scorps and tarantulas. Just partially bury the pot with a small opening exposed and your scorp should find the entrance and begin excavating the sand almost immediately.

Yeah I'm just gonna make some caves and cover it with the sand. The only problem is that they are still in those critter keepers because they are so small.

Have any pics?

Back