Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can people be so STUPID?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so anyway..how about that beach vollyball?
    pretty awesome!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the wrong ID I re-read the article and a pet store in the area gave the wrong ID. I imagine the paper accepted that opinion as an expert in the field, should they have well thats questionable, but the chronicle is not the best paper out there.
    my wife, who is a third generation newspaper publisher, has been in the business most of her life and is currently running 2 weekly newspapers in the middle of nowhere Montana and she has specifically said she would have flogged the damn reporter for a crappy job of research.......you "imagine" what the newspaper did.........i flat out KNOW what they should have done cause i have the same damn job as them and i havent even gone to a journalism school.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok..I should give this up!
    not taking my own advice..(dead horse)
    but I will try one more time..

yes, the snake might have been harmless..
    yes, I agree it didnt need to be shot and killed..
    I agree the cop didnt need to solve the problem that way..

but I still dont fault the cop for doing his job..

Cops perspective:

Woah! Big Snake!
    acting agressive!
    question - is it dangerous?
    answer - unknown.
    question - Could it possibly be dangerous?
    answer - yes, possibly.
    solution - remove the possible danger.
    the end.

its really no different than any other unknown possibly dangerous animal.

Cops perspective:

Woah! Big Racoon!
    Out in the middle of the day.
    acting agressive!
    question - is it dangerous?
    answer - unknown.
    question - Could it possibly have rabies?
    answer - yes, possibly.
    solution - remove the possible danger, shoot it in the head.
    the end.

yes, most racoons are not dangerous..most dont have rabies..
    but that is still irrelevant..to the snake and the racoon..
    if it *could* possibly be dangerous..solve the problem.
    which is what the cop did.

Cops arent in the business of animal rehab..if they see a *possible* threat, their job is to remove the threat as quickly as possible..

If it had been an animal TRULY not dangerous, with no possibility of harming anyone,
    like say, a baby duck..im sure the cop wouldnt shoot it.

ok..im really done now!

Pyro,
    if you feel like responding, thats fine.
    but I wont be reading tyhis thread anymore..because there is no point.

carry on!

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    Pyro, you keep missing one of the big things I keep saying, you can not accurately judge the situation and determine what the best coarse of action was.
    I agree I can not accurately judge but I do not think it is at all wrong for me to say that the course of action taken was too extreme. Using a gun to kill a snake on a public street is too extreme, regardless of the snake it is be it a 60cm garter snake or a 4m python. There are other, safer (and yes humane for the snake) ways to go about it.

Should animal control have been called, yes and they may have been but might not have arrived on the scene when the officer felt the action he took was necessary.
    The fact that the paper specifically mentioned that 911 was called and never made a mention of animal control being called implies to me that AC was not involved. Granted an assumption on my part. But if they had been called then I see no reason the cop could not wait for them, the snake obviously stuck around long enough for the cop to get there so...

I also like how all of the snake keepers are mad at the officer instead of being steamed at the one person who is really at fault, the person who owned the snake in the first place. The snake never should have been there plain and simple. If the owner had taken proper care of this animal this never would have happened.
    Actually I do agree with you on this point. The keeper should have been more careful. But sometime even the most careful dog owners have their dogs escape. And again I contend that those dogs do not just get shot...

You are assuming the motives of the officer first off, based on what appears to you to be the prevailing opinion of people in US society.
    I hate to sound stupid but there is a reason it is called the prevailing opinion... Odds are your average person on the street is going to have said opinion...

If it was a dog that was lunging at people and he shot because he felt it was necessary to end the situation before animal control was present would you be all up in arms like you are now?
    Honestly, yes I would. Because I would find it just as deplorable if little Timmy's dog was lunging at people was because it had almost been hit by a car and was scared and so a cop blew it away and then was in the news smiling and holding up the dead body of a dog he shot and being hailed as protecting the public for it...

should he have waited until someone did get hurt to take action?
    As I said above, the snake obviously hung around long enough for the cop to get there and just as obviously did not hurt anyone in that time period it is not a far stretch to think it would have remained there not hurting people long enough for someone without an itchy trigger finger to come take care of the problem in more proper manner. Or he could have been a little more restrained himself. Seriously, a pillow case and a broom could have solved the problem. Or an inverted trash can. Both would have kept the animal from hurting anyone and neither involve firing off a gun on a public street. You say we can not go second guessing cops but I do not think that is always true. I can think of 50 ways to restrain that snake and protect the public and none of them involve a gun. I can even think of ways to kill the snake that do not involve the use of a gun.

As for dog license Ottawa county where this incident happened does require you purchase a registered dog license and keep it on your dogs collar or they are seized by animal control and you lose control of the dog. Why shouldn't the same requirements apply to other animals.
    I am not saying there should not be a requirement to have reptiles registered. Heck, I would even register my snakes if there was such a requirement. I am just saying that what holds for one ought to hold for the other. So fine, everyone has to register their snake like their dog. But if the snake should happen to get free than it should be treated just like any dog that gets free. I guarantee they do not go blowing away every loose dog in Ottawa county and have the cop that did it pose for the news and by that same token they should not blow away loose pet snakes and having the cops that did it in the news...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter if someone misidentified the snake or if one that size can only eat something the size of a mouse or as big as a golden retriever. I usually give police officers some slack in their response to rapidly changing, stressful situations, but this wasn't one. Maybe the snake was still lunging around, but the men are lying about what happened or have no idea what happened. If the snake had been run over, it was no longer a threat to anything and wasn't going anywhere. The three bullets the officer fired went somewhere, however, and I hope he's answering phones at the station or checking parking meters now. He certainly doesn't have the judgement needed to carry a gun. Shooting a snake in a road? It's reckless when a kid does it and completely irresponsible when a police officer does.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really annoys me when people say that snakes are mindless killers that attack anything that moves. While it is true that large snakes can be dangerous, the person who let it go is at fault. The snake was not suppost to be there and if I was in an unknown place scared to death Id be pretty pissed off too. I belive the public( and police officers as well) should be more aware and get the facts on snakes before they say things about them. The fact that they said that it was a burmese python just shows their ignorence and the fact that they need to get some valid info. I do agree with Pyro that snakes get a bad rap.

I think its sad when we see on the news that the police will taze a man carrieng a gun but will shoot and kill a snake. Im sure one is more dangerous to the public than the other.

People kill each other every day, as well as thousands of snakes every day, why make a big deal when the tables are turned. The snake shoulent have been there in the first place and the fact that it was is really sad. I dont think that we should stop importing them, but I think that people should research about what there getting thereselves into and not blame the snake when it gets 10 feet. Its stories like this that get snakes a bad rap and hurts our hobby.

For the record ive been keeping snakes since I was a small child, from 8 inch juvinile corn snakes to larger pythons and boas and some in between. I know that not everyone is thrilled by snakes but respect is due to these amazing animals.
    http://www.amphibianark.org/
    Donate or sign the petition to help save amphibians

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article and the story is a disgrace and I agree with the title of this thread.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, WOW. He was afraid of THAT! I hardly know anything about snakes but, man they know NOTHING!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123